My first guest

Answered!
Paul5938
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

My first guest

Hi!

I'm new to Airbnb ... someone booked my listing for New Year's Eve and I'm a little concerned. They don't have a picture or anything in their profile and it says they're confirmed with a government ID. I don't have a good feeling about this so I don't know what to do. They already booked and confirmed.

Thanks for your help!

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Paul5938 You're right to be cautious. Because it was instant booked you can cancel without penalty, just cite that you're uncomfortable with the reservation, and that the guest is uncommunicative. 

Here are some general tips to consider for keeping bad guests from getting in the door. Big red flags are: whether old or new profile...no reviews/local/last minute/weekend booking. When you have instant book on, make it a requirement that in order to book, guests must provide profile photo, recommendations from other hosts, govt ID...basically ALL the verifications you can ( just know that govt ID can be bogus...happened to me with a guest!) You can also set it so that anyone who doesn't fulfill those can still send a 'request' to book, if you choose.  Once you get a booking, search the guest online with name and phone number. Your results can often better inform,  whether good or bad, but know that if nothing comes up, that's not necessarily a good thing. 

Specify up front in your listing that you live very nearby/onsite. If you don't have already, install security camera at front door to see instantly who/how many arrive. Disclose it prominently in the listing details. Have a camera you can monitor remotely in real time. You may want to specify you will meet guests at check in for a quick welcome and will require to check their ID at that time.  All of that will go a long way to putting off the guests who just want your place to party. Also, keep your price as high as you can, and set big increases for certain dates,  like NYE. You may even want to just block it off. The cost can be bigger than the payout. 

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you got your listing set so only those with a profile photo can book @Paul5938 ?

Have you contacted your guest to find out more about the guests who are staying and about their plans for their stay?

Paul5938
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

I thought I had the photo setting checked, but it appears i didn't. I've send her a message and asked for a photo and to tell me a little bit more about her intention with staying at my home. I'm awaiting her response. She's been an airbnb member since July but has no profile or reviews. I also had it set for instant booking, but I have just turned that off.

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Paul5938 Hi Paul, I'm assuming this reservation is for a single night?  In my experience you are right to be concerned.  Do you live near your listing?  In any case, if you choose to keep this reservation, I would make sure to stay very near that night so you can break up the party early before it gets out of hand if that is this individual's intentions.  Unfortunately having a 'no parties or events' rule is often ignored by guests, and your place looks to be the perfect party house for a New Year's bash.

You have a beautiful place by the way 🙂

Paul5938
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

Thanks Jodi! The reservation was for three nights ... I live at the listing, but I'd be staying with family an hour away so being close by wouldn't work. I'll be installing a doorbell cam soon, so this will help with that. I've decided to cancel this reso because I just wasn't feeling safe. Thanks so much for your responding!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Paul5938 

You have 1 month till New year's eve. Send her another message after da day or two and if she doesn't respond try calling her. If you don't have a good feeling about it then contact Airbnb to cancel her booking without penalizing you. A few things goes to your favour so use them:

1. you don't feel comfortable to host her
  2. she is unresponsive to your messages
  3. you are a brand new host and get confused with your settings and booking requirements

If Airbnb rep refuses to cancel without penalties then just call again, you will get another CS rep who may be more supportive

We have 2 nights min for the entire year but we have min 3 or more nights for New Year eve.

If you don't have instant booking then avoid hosting people from your area, they often book an Airbnb for a party.

PS  always set New year's price much higher than your regular price. At least 3x higher.

Thank you for your response and for the New Year's tip! I've decided to cancel the booking and I've adjusted my pricing as per your tip! 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Paul5938 

A good number of hosts block for New Year Eve, the risk versus reward is to high...

If this is your first booking don't go there, I'm curious did you inflate your price or is it the standard price.

Paul5938
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

Thanks Cormac! I had Smart Pricing on but it was set to the lowest price for those days. I decided to cancel the booking and have adjusted my pricing to higher for that week now. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Paul5938 You're right to be cautious. Because it was instant booked you can cancel without penalty, just cite that you're uncomfortable with the reservation, and that the guest is uncommunicative. 

Here are some general tips to consider for keeping bad guests from getting in the door. Big red flags are: whether old or new profile...no reviews/local/last minute/weekend booking. When you have instant book on, make it a requirement that in order to book, guests must provide profile photo, recommendations from other hosts, govt ID...basically ALL the verifications you can ( just know that govt ID can be bogus...happened to me with a guest!) You can also set it so that anyone who doesn't fulfill those can still send a 'request' to book, if you choose.  Once you get a booking, search the guest online with name and phone number. Your results can often better inform,  whether good or bad, but know that if nothing comes up, that's not necessarily a good thing. 

Specify up front in your listing that you live very nearby/onsite. If you don't have already, install security camera at front door to see instantly who/how many arrive. Disclose it prominently in the listing details. Have a camera you can monitor remotely in real time. You may want to specify you will meet guests at check in for a quick welcome and will require to check their ID at that time.  All of that will go a long way to putting off the guests who just want your place to party. Also, keep your price as high as you can, and set big increases for certain dates,  like NYE. You may even want to just block it off. The cost can be bigger than the payout. 

Colleen, thank you for this!! These are all fabulous suggestions. I thought I had selected all the requirements for instant booking, but apparently it wasn't' set high. I have cancelled her booking, changed the instant booking requirements, and have also increased the price for New Year's. I had Smart Pricing on but for some reason those days were set to the lowest price.

Thanks for the suggestion to install a video cam—I've ordered a doorbell cam and will include that in my listing. Love the idea of saying I live nearby as well. All helpful for sure! I can't thank you enough for this message!

@Paul5938  Smart pricing is not smart at all, as you already discovered 🙂 Turn it off and set your prices manually depending on the season, weekends, holidays and major events in your area.