My night of hell.

Donna621
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

My night of hell.

A couple checked in early yesterday at 241pm which was fine. They were staying for a week.

They also texted me at 5pm to ask if cleaners would be going in before they leave on Saturday next week. I said not normally but would do if they wanted. They replied no need.

At quarter past midnight I receive a phone call from Airbnb. The couple had suddenly decided my flat was too dirty and wanted to leave. I had to reply within one hour with my side of the story so pointed out they were lying and why would anybody who had checked in at 2pm wait until after Midnight. I also pointed out that all my reviews were good. They agreed but ended up agreeing the guests could leave next morning and I would only be paid one day. While all this was going on my neighbour who cleans went over to them and they were saying they were leaving in early hours and would put the key back through the door and not the key safe which is no use to me. So to keep it simple I asked them to give the key to neighbour and just close the door when they leave. They then tried to say to Airbnb that they had left there and then because neighbour took the key. Once I explained my side of events they agreed and I am still getting one day money though it looks like Airbnb paying it and not the guest. It seems the guest being refunded totally.

my problem is I struggled to get back to sleep till about 5am and have now woken up and am feeling angry and upset.

They had also sent photos to Airbnb of hairs on toilet etc which I know were not there when they checked in but even if my flat was dirty why would they wait till after midnight, the next day, to complain. Airbnb said they had to call me there and then and get my reply within the hour because it was urgent. 

Im guessing the couple had changed their plans and knew it was too late for a refund so they’ve made up this story. I am actually the sort of person who would have refunded had they just been honest with me had they just said their olans had changed.

I really don’t think Airbnb should have been calling me after midnight anyway. If a person locked out or a fire or a real emergency then fair enough. But this was complete rubbish.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Donna621  yes, it is a well-known fraud to be refunded. I am not surprised. There is nothing you can do about it as Airbnb almost always side with a guest at the host's expense even when they obivously lying. Be happy they are gone.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Donna621 

Airbnb guest refund policy - that's when the guest encounters some type of issue during a trip - includes one of the conditions below for guests to follow; 

• Have used reasonable efforts to remedy the circumstances with the host prior to making a claim, including messaging your host on airbnb to notify them of the issue. We'll verify this in your account.

In your case, no-one here can see all the sides of course,  the normal course of events is that the guests should raise the issue with you, in writing - then if it isn't resolved to their satisfaction they can then involve airbnb to mediate based on evidence such as photographs.

You can call airbnb yourself if you don't think this policy/guidence above was followed in your case.

Trouble is, airbnb are the sole judge and jury and from what one can see here on the forum, a lot of decisions made appear arbitary and don't follow the specified terms and conditions.

In future, you can get to know the terms better to challenge when neccesary . Keep communications written only on airbnb messenger and even to get your cleaning helper to record video of the standards pre-visit each time as defence evidence. Every now and again you a likely to get some guest were maybe their plans changes, other opportunites appear for them or the location isn't what they expected - some slippery guests will then try to game for a refund.

Sorry that your night's sleep was disturbed and maybe it will take a day or two before your blood stops boiling and you can get back to your usual self.