Need advice on writing review about disgusting guest

Answered!
Suzanne313
Level 2
Holywood, United Kingdom

Need advice on writing review about disgusting guest

Good morning!

I hope someone can help me out with advice. I am new to Airbnb as a host, and have just hosted my 4th lot of guests, most of whom have been amazing to date. My place was booked by 2 guys, one of whom has 9 positive reviews from other hosts (although I think most of these were for when he was travelling with his family).

When I went around to clean the house, it was all pretty much fine, except that one of the guys had taken one of facecloths and ejaculated into it, and left it encrusted in the bottom of the shower unit. I don't know what other hosts' experiences are, but I think that's pretty disgusting. 

I don't know whether to say something, or just not leave a review. I'm new to Airbnb and don't want to look like I'm a 'difficult host'. What happens if I don't leave a review,will the guest's review be published (although I don't know if their review will be positive or negative)? Or should I flag this up with the guest in a private message?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks,

Suzanne

1 Best Answer

@Suzanne313

I agree with @Marzena4 that as a warning to fellow hosts you should write something to reflect the guests were "not good" but not go into any details. If it were me, I'd say something like "Guest and friend did not handle amenities provided by host with respect or care. I would not welcome these guests into my home again." 

When I'm planning to leave a not-so-nice review, I always write a draft and wait till I get notice that the guest has reviewed me first before I post mine or I wait until day 13 after checkout to post it. 

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20

@Catherine827 - I'm genuinely intrigued; 'infection control' against what exactly?

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Basic bugs: Golden staph for one, Giardia. ...you name it. Generally from faecal matter, but transmitted from being unhygienic. I live and work in the tropics, so some bacteria particularly enjoys this climate! 

Keith19
Level 2
Hardwick, United Kingdom

I have a related problem - guests left the place filthy, failed to read my comprehensive information, needed lots of phone help.

But I am unable to leave a review unless they do so first, and for sure that will not happen.

How do I warn the community about a guest like this?

@Keith19, why do you think you are unable to leave a review unless they do? Have you had a look at the Help Centre? You can leave a review, and whether or not they do, it will appear on their page. It is just, if they do not review, that it will take 14 days for it to appear. No worries. You can warn others of the problems with the guests. Do keep it unemotional and very professional. You won't regret that. 

Keith19
Level 2
Hardwick, United Kingdom

Hmm: the question is "how?" I can find no way to do this.

There is a link on the guest's profile that says "0 reviews" but it does nothing. There is no mention of reviews on the booking details.

Previously, I have had guest reviews and the boilerplate wording has been on the lines of "now your guest has reviewed you can respond".

Ah: it is quite obscure. Found it.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Suzanne313

I call this behaviour out in your review,

"The handtowel left in the base of the shower impregnated with body fluids was quick a shock"

and let other hosts draw there only conclusions...