Negotiating

Kristi105
Level 1
Alexandria, VA

Negotiating

I’m a newer host to Air bnb and have a unique listing. My first guest has been an absolute joy to have around! I was recently contacted by a couple to rent the space and they negotiated for a more reasonable rate, which is agreeable for a longer term rental of this space. After I sent a special offer, they tried to negotiate down again stating that they wanted more money off for not using some of the amenities.  I kindly let them know that they are other carrying costs associated with having guests beyond amenities such as insurance and yard maintenance, etc. Is this common practice of guests? I already have a very competitive price for my unique space with a built in discount for longer stays. I ultimately declined the request because It was becoming clear my listing simply wasn’t going to be in the budget they were desiring. 

3 Replies 3
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Kristi105 

unfortunately there are definitely some guests who will try this on.

In short, you just don't want that sort of guest. Guests who try to bargain you down are notoriously difficult guests who complain, find faults and leave less than glowing reviews. Unfortunately being new, they may see you as a target.

You were absolutely right to stand firm

The only unfortunate thing is that YOU declined the booking, which gets counted against you in your response rate.

Far better to try to get the guests to decline.

either tell them to decline because unfortunately are clearly not going to be comfortable with your listing ( especially if they can do so with out penalty) - and hope they will,

OR you could make things  sound so unattractive that they don't want to stay anyway.  -  talk a lot about your rules and regulation and ask lots of questions or even fib eg "there's a construction site next door and now the toilet has broken and I'm ordering a portaloo for the backyard, I hope you don't mind," or something equally outrageous ( this last can be risky , because those kind of guests might just see it as further ammunition to ask for yet more money off)

Other more experienced hosts will probalby offer more advice.

Take heart though - not every guest is like this and as you gather reviews and get a feel for how to run things,  things do get easier.   

It's good to read these boards  -  you learn a lot just skimming through.

Good luck!

Kristi105
Level 1
Alexandria, VA

Thank you for letting me know that declining may have me take a ding! I didn’t want the month they requested to be booked or blocked by not responding.  I have no problem with a longer discount for extending a stay but to negotiate again just wasn’t sitting well with me. 

@Kristi105 

you can set up discounts for longer stays in your bookings settings - you can elect adn set discounts for 5 days, 7 days, etc

Then if a guest asks you for a deal, you just say that you have already factored in a longer stay discount and that the discount is automatically applied when booking.

when I get a guest asking for a cheaper price, I send them a special offer of either a couple of dollars less or a couple of dollars MORE - either way they never take it up.

I have instant booking so I'm not absolutely sure about booking requests, but I think, until you approve, the dates are still free for other to book? 

If it's a booking ENQUIRY you can reply without blocking the dates for other potential guests, and even if you do block the dates you can elect to remove this element.  so  if its just an enquiry, to keep your acceptance rates high, you could reply, accept the booking, ( they still have to book) and your calendar will still be free.

IF it's a booking request, if you accept, then the guest only has the option to pay at that price. If they're not happy, they need to decline the booking. 

Another host who is more experienced with booking request will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

Cheers