New Airbnb Review Criteria

Julia-and-Giovanni0
Level 3
Montefioralle, Italy

New Airbnb Review Criteria

Just had a fantastic, gushing review about our wonderful place, marvellous hosts etc. five stars for each area of assessment BUT four stars overall because there is no air-conditioning and it was hot (July in Tuscany...). My listing has clearly stated for the last seven years that there is NO air-conditioning in my home and that it gets hot in the summer.

I called the superhost support who informed me that the client is right to leave a four star review because they would have enjoyed our place more if it had air-conditioning.

Now I'm worried about three star reviews from future guests who would have preferred my place if it had a swimming pool.

Am I missing something here?

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julia-and-Giovanni0 

you don't have air conditioner??? 😮 😮 😮 Don't you know guests are so fragile and sensitive nowadays and can't bear the temperature higher than 22 C!  Their boiling point is 24 C (but only during the heating time, at summer is 22 C) and if it's higher they die instantly!

I am afraid you have only 2 choices - to install A/C or to quit hosting. Believe me, as soon as we turn off the heating our guests need A/C. This year one group from Hong kong broke all the records - they asked for A/C while the heating was still on and the temperature outside was 17 C. They were surprised when we suggested to turn off the heating and open the windows 😄

Crazy world...

@Julia-and-Giovanni0  and @Branka-and-Silvia0 There is another option besides your two options. But it might be the hardest one :-). 

Airbnb gets rid of the stupid separate overall rating. Takes an average of all rating in each categories as the overall rating.

Sharon493
Level 4
Fabrezan, FR

Well fancy that! I've just experienced the same....had a guy from San Francisco book our little Southern French village house for the run up to his wedding last Saturday.  He booked last November so has had plenty of time to read about our facilities. I warned him about the heatwave prior to his arrival, left a complimentary chilled bottle of rose and box of Lindt chocs, fresh flowers, candles etc. 2 electric fans. Kept in touch during his stay. The wife-to-be left a handwritten note thanking us for sharing our "beautiful home". I wrote them a great review so was surprised to see his brief comment:  "Nice apartment. Can get hot in summer" and an overall review of four stars after marking me 5* on each area of assessment!  He is the first client this year to mark me down. It seems the more you do, the more some of them expect.

Bronwyn11
Level 6
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm finding people aren't reading the listing and then ask questions, all of which are covered in the data provided. Ive just been asked if there are pets at my house. Yes, stated in description and huge photo of my cat!

I've even had people query the layout of the holiday house, built in the 1950s, and virtually unchanged.. this is clear, we advertise it as such with numerous photos. I think some guests forget that these are, in most cases, our homes and they are privileged that we allow them access.

Fortunately most guests so far have been appreciative of the fact, but there are those few...

Oonagh4
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Oh yes - 5 stars all round and glowing comments then 4 star overall as we have only one bathroom. Advertised as one bathroom and wouldnt we love another if we could magic one in there! I now draw attention to that in the first response to users.

Janette46
Level 2
Bellagio, Italy

I just got an overall 4 for no apparent reason while everything else was 5 stars, plus a positive review. Is there nothing we can do?

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Julia-and-Giovanni0 @Alice595 @Janette46 @Bronwyn11 @Oonagh4 

I got a 4 star rating overall and 3 in Value category while the rest cagegories are 5s. Here is what the review states

"The bedroom is pretty small, but worth the price for being super close to Googplex if you work there."

If the guest thought that it was worth the price, why on earth did he rate 3 in the value category?

The bedroom measures at 14 feet by 12 feet in size. I googled that the average size of bedroom is 12 feet by 11 feet in the US. Not to mention that my house is in SF Bay area where land is very limited.

Christina768
Level 4
St Mabyn, United Kingdom

We have experienced this with a recent guests who marked us 5 stars on all categories and a glowing review then left an overall 4. They implied that they were expecting the property to be larger with kitchen facilities!  Clearly didn't read the listing expecting all sorts of extra's also chose our property as it was in a quiet village location but complained in a private note that it was 20mins from their favourite town! All this information is in the listing. So many people just don't bother reading the information provided.