New Host with a few questions....

New Host with a few questions....

Hi there! 

I have a few questions re hosting.  How do I get the Self Check-In feature icon right under my listing?  I look at other listings (without booking) and see something that says Self Check-In under the hosts name/city/state.  Where can I add this?  Do many hosts leave binders in their AirBNB with things to do in the area, restaurants etc (like a hotel would).  What about leaving a welcome note?  I've read some hosts leave each guest a personalized note.  Lastly, do you give your guests your cell # so they can easily contact you after they have checked in? 

Thank you!

4 Replies 4
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi Robin, 

Under your listing, go to "guest resources" and select for example lock box under self check in, then it should appear. 

Binders - yes, many people do. I don't. I've started making one, but just haven't had the time to finish yet. Same with welcome note. I send a welcome email, and either I am there to welcome guests or I come by when I get back from work (I also have self check in). 

Guests get our phone numbers once they are confirmed, but I try to keep communication within the airbnb app. If there's every any issues that you need to take to airbnb customer support, having communicated within their app makes it a whole lot easier. 

Hope this helps!

Yours, 

Solveig

Gretia0
Level 2
Bloomington, IN

Hello  not same question,  but what about  taxes? I just can't find  anything out about  how much  where to  pay, etc. And  license is there something I  need to be  doing? As you can tell  I  new, a month  into hosting.  Kindness, gretia 

Diana259
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Where I live Airbnb collects the property taxes and sends them to the state. They also generate an income statement which you will need for the income tax due. I have a little binder that lists the wifi info, house rules, closest stores, a few of my fave restaurants, and other general information. I also have a little file with restaurant menus I've collected. And everyone gets a welcome email the day before they check in, which basically reiterates the house rules and the passwords and key codes. Our guests seem to like it. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I list things to do in the area, what places serve breakfast, what places serve lunch / dinner all under a glass desktop. I also leave a few laminated menus from local restaurants. I also provide various helpful details about the room (rules, WIFI pass, etc). Guests really seem to appreciate all of the information.

No welcome note other that a small sticky note on the outside door that says "Welcome [guest name]", which I think is important for a self check-in stay because people are showing up at a strange house. I also have signs that say "Airbnb" so they know they have the right house. The personalized sticky note lets them know that no previous guest is still staying there and nobody is still inside cleaning.

Absolutely leave contact information, although I have only had one guest contact me by phone -- that was when the shower tray plumbing was backing up.  Otherwise it's always by email through Airbnb. BTW don't be surprised if guests never contact you at all to let you know that they've checked in, that they love the place, or that they've checked out. With a self check-in stay most guests just want to go about their business.