New host & tenant damages stuff. Help

Answered!
Alan1375
Level 2
Prestonpans, United Kingdom

New host & tenant damages stuff. Help

Hi all

I am new to Air bnb and this morning the tenant has messaged to day they broken fridge door shelf. So annoying as she is only the 2nd person I've hosted and already this happens. My fridge sits on a worktop and she said when she opened the fridge door to get a beer the fridge moved and the feet of the fridge slid a little of the worktop making the fridge bounce, and therefore the beer fell of the shelf as she opened the door nd smashed the door shelf. OK so it's probably my fault. But is it really?  Should I dispute it?  And how do I dispute it

1 Best Answer
Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

That sounds very dangerous & I’d be happy she’s not seriously injured. I think you need to insure that the fridge is secure for your next guest so it won’t  slide & fall on someone. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom
Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

That sounds very dangerous & I’d be happy she’s not seriously injured. I think you need to insure that the fridge is secure for your next guest so it won’t  slide & fall on someone. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alan1375  What I see in your listing photos is what looks like one small fridge set atop another small fridge, not a "worktop". That looks very precarious and not okay.

You should be thankful that she is the type who reported it to you.

Alan1375
Level 2
Prestonpans, United Kingdom

OK. I sort. Ends up she got in a fight with her boyfriend,, who then beat her up and she called the police and he was handcuffed, arrested and taken to the cells. I thi k the story of the fridge slipping is a lie. Crazy. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Alan1375  Your listing is cute, but I agree with @Sarah977  that two small mini fridges on top of each other is inherently unstable, especially since they're be both empty most of the time.  I would move the 2nd one somewhere else or take it out entirely.  You could also look price out some of the more full size fridges, last time I priced them they were around $400-$500.

Since your guest admitted she caused the damage, you could ask for the $$ from her and then go to Airbnb reimbursement/claims if she refuses, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.