New host not responding about a confirmed reservation

Shannon22
Level 1
Takoma Park, MD

New host not responding about a confirmed reservation

We have a confirmed reservation from a brand-new host on Airbnb. The listing was set up for auto-booking, so our request was accepted immediately and our card charged. However, all we have heard from the host was a brief message saying she would get back to us soon about those dates (even though it was by then a confirmed booking). It has been four days, and I've tried to contact her via Airbnb messaging and directly to her phone number. We are concerned that she will cancel this booking and we will be left without a place to stay. We are also Airbnb hosts, and while I understand sometimes not being able to respond right away, four days with no communication or response to questions is worrying. Since she is new, she has no reviews to give me any assurance. Advice welcome. 

3 Replies 3

Shannon, can you easily cancel without penalty?  This would make me nervous as well.  Maiden voyages on airbnb sometimes are not that smooth as hosts are inexperienced.  It may be fine but given first impressions i´d be looking elsewhere and cancelling.  Stick with hosts with good reputations and you can´t go wrong.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Shannon22 Ah, yes I would be concerned too.  Oftentimes new hosts set up their listing without knowing how the system works.  She may not have even set up notification settings.  

If she is not responding to you I would contact Airbnb to reach her for you, especially since she replied that she was going to get back to you on dates.  Are you familiar with all the ways to contact Airbnb?  If not, here's how: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...

Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Shannon22,

I agree with @Clare0.  It is important to contact Airbnb as they can reach out to the host for you and figure it out.  Please do not just cancel on your own and have Airbnb do it for you.  If you cancel, you will not get your Airbnb fee back.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host