New to Hosting in the Catskills

Susan1715
Level 2
Margaretville, NY

New to Hosting in the Catskills

Hi,

I'm New to hosting, I'm in Margaretville NY and Managing my landlords personal apartment for him, I've had 4 bookings since I listed, I'm Happy about that but need to book it more often and was hoping I could get some constructive advice on my listing, I'm limited as to what I can do as far as decor because it's his personal hunting/man getwaway he let me doll up a little :).But would love feed back so I can improve my chances.

Thanks everyone!

Sue

10 Replies 10
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Susan1715 Gah, that bear on the wall kind of depressed me.  So I'm not the target market obviously!

I think you should aim at hunters and the like.  Maybe put it in the title.  There are many Airbnbs around the country that attract hunters and outdoorspeople, so it's a definite market.

Hi,

Agreed,  I did explain to him that he would be missing out on a large market if the animals stayed but he' a hunter so that got nixed, but yes I am willing to try to gear it more towards lodge or hunting, outdoorsy types.

Thank you!

Sue

Are lumbersexuals still a thing? Maybe you could go more Paul Bunyan and less camo.

You could also go a little kitschy, with vintage Catskills or Smokey the Bear posters.

😉

F5612DC7-3119-44D6-B454-C7565B450EDB.jpeg

@Julie143 wrote:

Are lumbersexuals still a thing? Maybe you could go more Paul Bunyan and less camo.

Hahaha 🙂 I think it is! I'm trying to go for that, but very teeny tiny limited budget, I actually made most of the pillows and covers for the ones he had, working on more! and I like the idea of going with some vintage Catskills!

🙂 Thank you, Feel free to deliver more good Ideas! lol I will try and update some of the pictures today and tomorrow!

Thank You!

Sue

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

In the kitchen: Put a full roll of paper towels on the holder

Add some nice dish towels with cheerful colors that coordinate with the kitchen paint, maybe hanging from the oven handle. Get rid of the air freshener and the clutter on the microwave. 

Living room:  I assume the bear and other trophies are staying... Add a few more colorful throw pillows and throw blankets. Manly stuff like lumberjack plaid is fine, it just needs more color.  Turn off those overheard fluorescent lights.  Can you get a wider shot of the living room? Try crouching down when you take it. 

Bedroom: needs another picture on the wall behind the beds. The curtain looks dingy. Get one that’s the same white as the walls or the same gray as the bed. If LL won’t let you replace it, keep it open for the picture so it’s less noticeable. 

Try to get a better photo of the bath that shows the sink too. The towels looks pretty nice. Try to display them in more eye pleasing way.

There are too many photos of the outside at the beginning. You need to show what the apartments looks like inside within the first couple of photos before potential guests get tired of clicking. The exterior photos are nice. Just move some of them to the end of the photo list.

Maybe add some photos of nearby restaurants and shops. I see one the guests mentioned a tavern in his review. If it’s a nice place worth visiting, maybe include a photo of it.

Hi,

Thanks for the great tips! The lighting in the bedroom is tough to get a good picture, I am working on a wall hanging for the Bedroom to dress up the bare walls, I'm also working on how to fold the towels better, I've discovered folding is not my best skill lol 🙂

The animal heads and wall decorations in living area stay, that was the only thing he said was not changeable, I'd like to change the yellow to a milder version but he's not ready to go for it yet. I would love to change the overhead lighting in living room as well but not in the budget just yet.

I have been roaming around town and taking photos of the area so I will post those and organize the photos that are there right away and add more of apartment as it comes together!

I have many brochures of the area and discount cards, leave chocolates from the local chocolate and confections, make sure  there is tea coffee and Ice for my guests as well, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am also unsure of the pricing for the apartment, He wanted $125 a night, I set it up for the smart pricing and I think it helped get attention, but that has seemed to slow since the special pricing for first three bookings has beed used up.  I need to research  how to go about pricing and cleaning fees as well. So much to learn!

Thank you so much for your help!

Sue

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan1715 

I would get a nicer chair or chairs for the deck.  You'd be surprised what you can find on craigslist for little to zero money.  Something either wood or metal, add a table, since the location is your main selling point.

The kitchen photos look dark and dingy, possibly put a bowl of fruit on the counter or as @Julie143  said, get some nice colorful towels.  If you have coffee/amenities you can do a close up or mention them in the caption.  Retake the photos at a different time of day or somehow get the photo to look a little brighter. 

Change the bathroom shower curtain to something more neutral and try some different angles.

I would take more photos of the living room.  Maybe add some additional pillows or other accessories to brighten it up, but it's the 'camp' motiff so might as well go with it.

I also agree, something on the wall above the beds and maybe there also some pillows or accessories that add some color.

I would change the order of photos to 1) deck, 2) living room, 3) bedroom  4) bathroom  5) rest of the exterior shots.

Hi!

I do have some chairs for outside and I need to update the photos, I'm definitely on the thrift store hunt for more goodies for the outdoor space and the inside as well, I am making slow progress! the lighting in the space isnt the best for photo's but I am working in that as well. I'll have to edit some to show that it really is bright in there I think my phone dulls things down a bit as well.

I have to wait for the budget to increase a bit to change the shower curtain, but thought at least it went with the whole lodge cabin theme for now, the good thing is bathroom is very clean and fresh paint! I also steam clean after each guest! I'm a stickler for clean!

Working on a wall hanging for upstairs space and more pillows and better lighting I was thinking of possibly adding string lights since there is limited lighting up there. give it a bit of twinkle?

I am going to retake photos as I update the space and I really appreciate the great advice! it is nice to see how someone else see's it!

Thank you,

Sue

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan1715  You could also consider a couple  of large planters w/flowers for the deck, that always makes a great impression and photographs well. 

I'm hosting in Andes near Big Pond.  I'm interested in connecting with any AirBNB hosts in the area.  Delaware County in particular.