New to hosting... have a few question.

Answered!
Gil1864
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

New to hosting... have a few question.

We are new hosts (Gil and Dionne), in Candler, North Carolina. I have some concerns. Of course I'd like a critique of our listing over all... many thanks. But also have some questions:

1. There are options regarding the payment of Airbnb fees (such as split, host pays, guest pays). Where is this entered?

2. Is the $40 cleaning fee a reasonable amount, and not a turn off?

3. Is a complete refund right up to the date, a reasonable thing to do, or should we stipulate something else?

Your review is much appreciated.

Gil and Dionne

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gil1864 

nr 1 - Fee-structure is set by Airbnb, depending on certain conditions, you can not change it yourself (but you can ask Airbnb to change you to other fee structure)

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gil1864 

nr 1 - Fee-structure is set by Airbnb, depending on certain conditions, you can not change it yourself (but you can ask Airbnb to change you to other fee structure)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gil1864  $40 is a quite reasonable cleaning fee.

A flexible cancellation policy is really only a viable option for hosts who have rentals that get booked a lot last minute, like who may be where guests on a road trip might need a place to stay, or the host lives near an airport. You don't want to spend time preparing the place for guests, only to have them cancel last minute and you receive no payment.

Your bed arrangement isn't listed correctly- it shows both the queen, single and sofabed in the bedroom. The sofabed needs to be listed under common spaces, as it is in the living room.

FYI, your phone number is  visible to guests when their booking is confirmed, as theirs is to you. So "phone number provided on arrival"  is pointless.

This is not a reply but a question??  I own my home outright and am planning on turning it into air BnB. I filed with the private community I live in and got permission. I will be living in 

South Carolina and have a person who lives nearby and will manage and clean the property for me. 

I think I will be setting up an LLC but not sure if to list my manager on the LLC with me or make it a sole proprietor.  She will be collecting the cleaning fee. 

I do not have any income so an accountant told me I probably won't make enough to file taxes.  

Let me know what you guys think, 

Regards, Lisa  PA

@tryairbnb

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Gil1864  $40 is very reasonable.  We have the 'moderate' cancellation policy, where guests can cancel up to 5 days before the reservation, I would never allow cancellation only 24 hours prior, because there is slim chance of rebooking.