No govenment ID?

Answered!
Marco304
Level 3
Chicago, IL

No govenment ID?

Why does the platform not automatically request a valid ID for new guests? And they allow them to book with out it and also without a profile picture. If it is in their terms that a valid picture should be uploaded they should do that automatically instead of asking the hosts to request the guests to do so. That makes us look like we are being picky and does not establish a great first impression risking the posibility of not getting a 5 star review...

Hope Airbnb addresses this, they were quick to remove the profile pics prior to confirmed bookings to prevent discrimination (supposedly) why can they protect hosts by properly verifying who we are going to let into our houses? Dang this is soooooo frustrating...

1 Best Answer

Hello @Marco304 

Hosts can require guests to complete Airbnb's Verified ID process. To require Verified ID, you must first verify your own ID.

To set reservation requirements for every listing:

1. Go to the Reservation Requirements page
  2. Check the box next to Require guests to go through verification
  3. Click Save Reservation Requirements

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Marco304 

I recently got a lot of requests from guests with new profiles, not containing any usefull information or verification. I now request ID verification in first message, otherwise communication will end and requests will be declined. But Airbnb should make it mandatory to add ID.

best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1@Marco304  See @Ramona2's solution below. I was very frustrated by this as well but then I followed the steps to update my reservations requirements and have not had this problem since. Airbnb definitely hides this information since you cannot find it through your listing page or setting. You have to go directly to the help article.

Hello @Marco304 

Hosts can require guests to complete Airbnb's Verified ID process. To require Verified ID, you must first verify your own ID.

To set reservation requirements for every listing:

1. Go to the Reservation Requirements page
  2. Check the box next to Require guests to go through verification
  3. Click Save Reservation Requirements

Hi, I have a host who already waive the ID requirement given as I have already stayed at one of her accommodations and she has already seen my temporary residence permit issued to me by the Hungarian government. Yet Air bnb is still requesting that I verify, I don't currently have my international passport as I'm getting a new one after leaving my old one in a hurry to flee the war in Ukraine. I would like to get this resolved quickly please, the host has agreed to waive the requirement, I have already stayed at her place.

Pat347
Level 4
Edmonton, Canada

I agree, it should be basic requirement from Air BNB for host, not ask us to add this options.

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

@Marco304  I absolutely agree I think Abnb should make it compulsory for anyone using the platform to load up a government ID. While I would prefer to see a photo and other details, it doesn’t bother me as much as having no verification/ identification. Only this morning I had a guest that after I requested ID ask why do I need it. I think the platform would be safer for all concerned if everyone hosts/ guests had to load their government ID in order to access the platform. 

@Claire475, this is possible ..... read Romona's response above.

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

@Emilia42  I have the settings set so that my guests need to provide me with government ID before they book, my point was why doesn’t Abnb make this a compulsory field to be filled in by all guests who wish to register on the platform. Why wait for guests to ask for it? 

@Claire475 

The Verified ID process is different than requiring an ID when using instant book. When you click the box that all guests must be verified you will not get requests from people who wish to book without an ID. Airbnb will automatically make the guest upload one before they are able to send you a message. 

Not all people want to give up their identity on the internet. There are many people who will not upload such personal info and these people just cannot book with hosts who require it.

Hi @Claire475 , I now forget how I changed it back then but have ID verification requirement and ID required, it did change the amount of request to book but not the bookings.. Unfortunately guests without ID verification contine to get through and are placed on my  calendar. Now according to support staff  if I do not accept the booking within the 24 hours I will be penalized. They are not able to  remove the booking or notify them of the requirement. Due to pandemic and shortage of staff most of my calls to ask for help since guests do not respond to my request for them to add ID are not answered within 24 hours. Once they are on the calendar it becomes my responsibility to contact them. It then becomes a request to book Some do not respond to messaging and block the calander until I successfully convince them to withdraw the request add ID and rebook. Others remain on calander and block the day from being booked and with an incomplete reservation. On tha incomplete bookings you do not have the option to deny booking and you can not deny request without penalty. The system for instant booking has never been fixed and verification requirements allow them on your calander prior to verification. I suggest all should be required to complete their profile prior to allowing any blocking of calender and not penalized host for denying booking that does not meet the requirements. 

@Sandra1925 Click this link: https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

Do you have the box checked?

Yes I have had my listing with both and removed both ID and verification  requirements along with removed ing instant booking..  It does not fix the problem of guests who have no profile sending requests to book or even blocking my calander. I was advised to remove instant book,  but It did not allow the ID requirement so went back to IB. Most recently a guest that had not completed verification was placed on my calendar for 5 day stay thus check point and then verification process was not complete by check-in time.  Guest was never verified or added ID. My point is a potential guest should not be allowed to block calander with out ID or completion of a profile. All guests on platform should have an ID requirement. 

@Sandra1925 I understand. Ever since I checked that box I have not received a request to book from an unverified guest. They all come through as verified instant booking. BUT my calendar will be still held for guests going through the verification. The hold is for 24 hours I believe. I look at it as they either hold my calendar waiting to be verified or they hold my calendar with their request while I have (or try to have) a conversation with them about getting verified. Either way, my calendar is held hostage or I'm waiting and declining.

Hi Emilia. I want to book an apartment with a host that I have stayed with before along with my sister. The host has agreed to waive the ID requirement given as she already has my temporary resident permit issued by the Hungarian government when I came here from fleeing the war in Ukraine. However, the air BnB platform is still asking for me to upload my ID which I don't currently have as I'm renewing my passport and it's going to take a while to get. However, the host has agreed to waive the requirement and I understand that this is a "May" requirement from" air bnb. Given the situation, I believe that the "May" requirement can be waved.