No-show guest - do I refund??

Answered!
Tara69
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

No-show guest - do I refund??

Hi, 

I've just had a guest who didn't show up last night. She informed me today that they have decided to stay elsewhere. They had booked with me for 6 nights. I have received this money. The 'guest' has asked for a refund. I would like to do a partial-refund but not all, if that sounds fair? (We were inconvenienced and have now lost out on other bookings that could have been made.)

I've been trawling through the community advice but can't get a gauge on what would be fair, money-wise, in a situation like this?

Has anyone any thoughts? Would 50% be fair or should it be more? (Less?) Opinions/experience appreciated!

Tee.

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tara69

I don't think is this case your obliged to do anything, they did not turn up, so your guests are not covered by your "flexible cancelation policy".

• Cleaning fees are always refunded if the guest did not check in.
  • The Airbnb service fee is refundable (up to 3 times per year) if the guest cancels before the trip starts. If a guest books a reservation that overlaps with any part of an existing reservation, we won’t refund the Airbnb service fee if they decide to cancel.
  • Accommodation fees (the total nightly rate you're charged) are refundable in certain circumstances as outlined below.
  • If there is a complaint from either party, notice must be given to Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in.
  • Airbnb will mediate when necessary, and has the final say in all disputes.
  • A reservation is officially canceled when the guest clicks the cancellation button on the cancellation confirmation page, which they can find in Dashboard > Your Trips > Change or Cancel.
  • Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.
  • Applicable taxes will be retained and remitted.

So, I’d sit tight and leave the ball in their court, make sure all your correspondence is using the AirBnb system to you your back.

I really think it’s disingenuous of them to even consider looking for a refund are you a doormat have you nothing better to do then wait around for them to arrive.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Judy498
Level 2
Ocean Grove, Australia

I've had a guest not show up for a one night stay, they did not respond to either email or text that day and did not cancel. He let me know the next day that they had found somewhere else, he is requesting full refund which I'm happy to refund the majority of it but it did not allow my room to be booked by anyone else, so I would like to retain a very small portion for the inconvenience and wasting my time doing the refund. What do you all think?

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Judy498 

Probably best to start a whole new thread rather than taking a question onto a 2 year old one - a lot of people will likely miss your question.

Re what to do , if you read further up this thread there's lots of advice about how to proceed for this very situation.  I don't see why you shoudl refund anything really. They didn't let you know they weren't coming and you lost the ability to have anyone else stay - why should you lose money for their poor manners and communication?

probably @Helen3 advice best suits you which was

"To be honest in your situation I wouldn't offer them any additional refund, as they were so rude in not letting you know.

I would just message them on Airbnb. Say that it was disappointing to find they decided to stay elsewhere and didn't let you know until you contacted them to see where they were. Confirm that cancellations need to go through Airbnb and they will be refunded in line with your cancellation policy.

Then call Airbnb and alert them to what has happened and confirm that if the guest approaches them for a cancellation, it will be in line with your cancellation policy. When Airbnb sends the cancellation notice, they will ask you if you voluntarily want to give them an additional refund. Just say no."

Judy498
Level 2
Ocean Grove, Australia

Thanks Rowena for the advice, cheers.

Rick244
Level 2
Tracy City, TN

I had a reservation that didn't show up in spite of my allowing them (as they requested) an early (very early) check-in. Several airbnb communications and I heard nothing back from them, until the next day. Then they indicated they had car trouble and requested a refund. I have a lot of time spent preparing the space. Trouble is, the dates were ONLY available in order to accommodate potential guests for a music festival that had most local spaces booked solid. So, by reserving my space early, they prevented me from renting the space to anyone else. I am inclined to NOT refund them. Any thoughts ?