Non experience as a Host

Jj61
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Non experience as a Host

Hi there,

I am travelling quite a lot and I have decided to become a host.

I haven't started yet and I have received a request from a guy who doesn't have description or records on his Airbnb Profile.

Would you recommend me to deny his request or should I trust him?

Do you know how Airbnb deal in the situation where the guests are unrespectful or steal some of the stuff?

I won't be in town when the guest will be here

Many thanks,

JJ

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jj61 

Ask some questions first.

If it does not feel good: decline

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Sorry, but declining a guest is not a good start. Read the latest topics why.

Try to start a conversation with him first. There are many questions hosts can ask, allowing a guest to stay in their homes. Hey, you know how to deal with people in Ukraine, so you can do that!

You can update your additional requirement for making a reservation. It could be previous reviews and Government ID for guests. In your house rules raise all your concerns. You can write something like this: you will be staying in my home and I expect you to provide me with an introduction of yourself first.

And you are a professional photographer, that has only 5 pictures.... How the toilet seat looks like, by the way? 😂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jj61  Communication can tell you a lot about someone- did they send a friendly request message introducing themselves, saying they think your place looks great, tell you why they are coming to the area? Or do they just send a message like "Arriving at 3"? Do they answer your messages and questions in a timely fashion? Are they requesting things that go against your house rules, like bringing a pet, or children,if you don't allow that, or asking right away for early or late check-in or out? Do they right away ask you for a discount? You will eventually recognize red flags from guest messages, it's a learning curve. 

I certainly hope you are not planning to go out of town when you have a guest there if you don't have someone who will co-host and look after things for you in your abscence. That could be a recipe for major disaster. You need someone who will keep an eye on things, make sure the guest isn't sneaking in more people, isn't causing any noise disturbance, etc, and is prepared to deal firmly with rule-breakers.