Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Non-paying guest

Non-paying guest

I just got a same-day booking from a guest. Unfortunately, Airbnb sent me an email stating that the guest's payment had failed to process. I talked to the guest, and he claimed that his credit card company put a security freeze on his account, and that he was having it fixed.

The email says that Airbnb is not responsible for paying me if the guest never pays them.

I called the phone number and spoke to "Ivan", who told me that I need not worry and that airbnb would pay for the reservation no matter what happened. I asked "Ivan" to send me this in writing, and he sent me a message stating the opposite.

At this point, I need to know whether to let the guest stay the night. What can I do?

3 Replies 3
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jonathan24 I guess my feeling is that if the payment didn't go through Airbnb, I would refuse the guest.  Is he otherwise verified?  Does he have reviews?  I'd contact Airbnb again and get a straight answer.  The first rep was obviously ignorant. 

Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Jonathan24

be careful with this...
It could be several different problems... The card being blocked by the bank is a legitimate error and happens very often, but most times it can be rapidly resolved and the payment should be processed successfully after that
I have never gotten past this situation to know if Airbnb would honor the payment or not... They are very clear on the email they do not guarantee your payment until they receive from the guest....

My only concern is if this person is using a invalid or stolen credit card to get access to your house...
In the end is up to you if you will take your guest and and wait till the problem is resolved, maybe he just need a place where he can sit and contact his bank... maybe not.. use your best judgement...

It took several contacts, but the guy ended up fixing his payment info and Airbnb was able to charge him. Since he was already in the house, I felt like letting him stay was the safest/easiest way to go, so long as he paid. It certainly took some prodding for me to get him to fix his payment info though. I'm quite disappointed that Air let a situation like this take place, and that they were not more helpful about resolving it.