Notre Dame de Paris Fire Disaster

Michael2978
Level 1
Pays de la Loire, France

Notre Dame de Paris Fire Disaster

Hi Everyone,

I host in Paris and in the wake of the Notre Dame fire disaster, I would like to offer a suggestion and explore ways to assist in the efforts to finance the rebuilding and restoration of Notre Dame Cathedral.

I have in mind making a pledge as a host to add 2 euros per night per guest to my rental rate--in the form of an extra charge similar to the cleaning fee--and pledge to forward the funds (with receipts in the name of the booking guest and other documentation of course) to the fund that will be established to finance the reconstruction and restoral of the cathedral.

I suggest this for all of the hosts in Paris and the Ile de France, but it could be extended to all of France.  Notre Dame is a major draw for Paris and I will never live to see the restored cathedral, but maybe some of our guests and their families will.  We are several thousand in Paris (and France) and the number of nights and guests booked in a year is considerable.  The funds accumulated would make a tidy sum, and our guests could genuinely feel that they would be contributing to a meaningful project.

Maybe something could also be done on the corporate level of Air B&B to demonstrate--again--that we are right thinking people wanting only the best for the city we all love.

Salut à tous,

Je suis hôte à Paris et à la suite du désastre d'incendie de Notre-Dame hier soir, j'aimerais suggerer et explorer des moyens d'aider aux efforts de financement de la reconstruction et de la restauration de la cathédrale Notre-Dame.

Je souhaite engager, en tant qu’hôte, l’ajout de 2 euros par nuit et par invité à mon tarif de location, sous la forme de frais supplémentaires similaires aux frais de nettoyage, et prendre l’engagement de transférer les fonds (avec les reçus au nom de voyageur) au fonds qui sera créé pour financer la reconstruction et la restauration de la cathédrale.

Je suggère cela pour tous les hôtes à Paris et en Ile de France, mais cela pourrait être étendu à toute la France. Notre-Dame est une attraction majeure pour Paris et je ne vivrai jamais pour voir la cathédrale restaurée, mais certains de nos invités et leurs familles le feront peut-être.  Nous sommes plusieurs milliers à Paris (et en France) et le nombre de nuits et de clients réservés par an est considérable. Les fonds accumulés constitueraient une somme important, et nos invités pourraient vraiment avoir le sentiment de contribuer à un projet porteur de sens.

Peut-être que quelque chose pourrait être fait aussi au niveau de l'entreprise Air B & B pour démontrer - encore une fois - que nous sommes les gens ne désirent que le meilleur pour la ville que nous aimons tous.

Michael H.

7 Replies 7
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michael2978  yes, it was all over the news today and I am sorry it happened. I am also sorry that I didn't have a chance to visit it. I hope it will be renovated and beautiful as before.

I think your idea is nice and I believe your guest would be happy to pay 1€ per day extra and get the certificate of donation for Notre Dame as a souvenir 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Michael2978 

Yes, what a terrible tradgedy.

I think the idea would work better if it was the hosts who donated a small percentage of their earnings. This would be much easier to manage as it wouldn't rely on hosts having to forward the funds collected, but could be taken on payment of the booking fee to the host,  with the amount going directly to a specially set up fund. Guests could then be offered the opportunity to make a voluntary donation everytime they booked a visit to Paris.

Michael2978
Level 1
Pays de la Loire, France

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your comment and suggestion.  Just a note indicating that x€ would go to a fund to restore the monument might be the better and more easily managed thing to do.

Thanks again.

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Michael2978

So sorry about what happened for Notre-Dame Cathedral of Paris. Really, it is a big Shock for all of us. 

I like your idea about donation. It is not just french hosts, but all hosts that want to donate, in the way which Helen has propossed. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Michael2978  

I and other hosts would be happy to donate our $100 superhost bonus if airbnb would allow it.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I'm sorry about the historical/cultural loss, but I would never stay at a listing that required me to finance any aspect of the catholic church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wealthiest_organizations

Michael2978
Level 1
Pays de la Loire, France

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your comment.  I do appreciate your point of view.  I should point out however that the French state is the owner of most church (catholic) property in France--thanks to the French revolution and all that followed.  Notre Dame and other buildings are made available for use by the Church.  That said, I wouldn't force guests to finance any religious institition.  Thanks again for your comment.