Odour Issues from smokeing, cookings or in general from guests staying for many days

Harvin0
Level 3
Thorold, Canada

Odour Issues from smokeing, cookings or in general from guests staying for many days

Hello all,  Like to get recommendation on products you may have used for odour Issues. I have a Three bedroom detached home which is old (80-100yr).  Issue I been having is the odour / smell from guests staying for longer period of time from their cooking, life style etc,. between guests we have like 4 hours so  I have used candles plug n' heat candles, air fresheners but  not working. I myself feel the odour after certain guests stay and it does not go away completely after cleaning.  Before I go on adventure on buying expensive air refreshment products & waste more of my hard earned $$ what products would you recommend? 

Thank you in advance 

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Harvin0 

that's very good question.

I found out that synthetic / poly textiles tend to catch the smell much worse than those made of natural fibers. So by removing such carpets and replacing them with natural fibers and washing the curtains will help. If you have enough time to do it.

A/C and cold air makes the odours much intense while dry fresh air and open windows are the best. Open all cabinets, turn on the fan and point it towards the window.

If you google you will find numerous advices about how to remove different odours and they include boiling vinegar or orange and lemon skin, or cinammon, or loundry detergent or baking soda should help. Placing a wet towel with a few drops of fabric softner over the night should make your apartment smell good.

I didn't try but I've heard ionizators are great. But it also depends how strong they are. As far as I know you should not be staying in the room while it's working so you don't have time for it.

I found the smell from Jewish, Indian and Chinese cooking the worst. Even though our average guests stay only for 2 nights it is more than enough .  Honestly I don't understand why they are cooking. They traveled accrost the globe, came here for a day or two and instead of eating in some of a few hundreds restaurants in 10 min walk radius, sightseeing and have fun, they choose to spend their holliday in a grocery store and stay at home cooking.

Diane724
Level 1
Brookfield, CT

Pour white vinegar on plates (or flat bottomed bowls)  and leave in every room for a few hours.  A half an onion helps, too.  You can also sprinkle carpets with baking soda before vacuuming (buy in bulk).

Diane724
Level 1
Brookfield, CT

If the natural stuff doesn’t work, Odoban works well- it comes in gallon jugs at Lowe’s or Home Depot.  Just don’t use on food prep surfaces.  We like the citrus scent best.

Hi @Harvin0 ,   The vinegar trick @Diane724   is a good one and works well, I also boil vinegar and let it waft through the apartment sometimes, the smell dissipates in less than half an hour.  Search online for  vinegar to remove odors - uses and limitations. There is also a product I have used called Zero Odor which is promoted as non-toxic, biodegradable, VOC-free, free Of artificial fragrances.  There is a slight hospital like smell at first but it dissipates quickly and removes all odors.

Amy409
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

I use defuser at my living room and bathroom . It is help for any smell.