interesting observation

MangoandEeg0
Level 3
Taiwan Region

interesting observation

hello everyone , 

i noticed over the years talking and meeting other Airbnb hosts , lot of host have hard time to accept the way guest behave or things they do, also the way hosts handle complains from guests. i worked in 5 star hotels for many years and i had a easy start on airbnb , i offer my place to guests with very little rules and if they band the rules i forgive them anyway , i cannot remember the situations from other hosts complaining about how their guests behave ,but its a matter of acceptance. maybe i am just too nice to people , but it works great . have a nice day 

regards Mango  

13 Replies 13

@MangoandEeg0  I think you'll find that many of the worst problems hosts have had to deal with were partly a result of being too accepting, out of fear of getting bad reviews. When you're unlucky enough to get a guest who misrepresents their intentions, and experience an unsafe situation or risk of damage to your property, I hope you won't be a doormat.

actually i am like a doormat , its what they teach you when you work in hotels , it works great , i have no problem with that and in my case its essential , i let my wife host people for 6 moths and most of the listings got paused because she dont have the hospitality spirit like me , she will tell you all kinds of rules and blame you very unforgiving , so i had to take over fix it . 

@MangoandEeg0  Of course you should do what works best for you! However, I would steer new hosts well clear of your advice. I've also worked in hospitality for the better part of two decades, and while I agree that it's great practice for how to effectively communicate with your clientele, it is simply not the case that a private home can absorb the same amount of risk as a 5-star hotel.

Small-scale Airbnb hosts don't have an industrial cleaning apparatus to sanitize linens and facilities that have been exposed to blood, feces, vomit, or smoke. They don't have full-time cleaning and security staff monitoring their property. They can't simply move a reserved guest to another room when the prior guest has left the place in unusable condition or failed to check out on time. They can't quickly replace a destroyed item from back storage, or independently charge a guest for the replacement. They don't have desk staff that can check a guest in around the clock without having anywhere else to be when guests don't communicate their arrival times. The fact is, aside from the basic fact that they're both places where people can sleep, a hotel and an Airbnb home are fundamentally different services. 

So while good hospitality does perform the appearance of the spirit you describe, it is in fact just that: a performance. Beneath that surface, well-established and well-enforced boundaries are essential. All but the truly rotten guests actually appreciate understanding what's expected of them, and genuinely respect hosts who behave as equals rather than as doormats.

exactly in my case its my job , its no longer hobby like 5 years ago . i am all in and it comes with a little more pressure and i really like what i do , i would let people do anything here only because they pay for my life style. i remember the beginning hosting at home, it would hurt me if someone disrespect my place but here its my milk cow on steroids. i really harvest all that years working in hospitality and put it in work , of course sometimes its too much but i am also greedy and this place is for me like a garage i go there fix stuff, do art and meet people , it has more good than bad , i let the bad side slip away like it didnt happen , i could start posting pictures of stuff on the wall and broken things , with this operation i have budget for all of that , its different than a few rooms. 

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@MangoandEeg0 @I have to agree that I don’t feel a strict set of rules prevents people from being disrespectful. I think it’s a gamble every time, except for repeat guests. I like to encourage good behaviour, not demand it. You cannot predict what will happen with the guests you host. This is part of the alluring quality in hosting, you get to see different people and interact with them from all parts of the world. How boring the world would be if everyone were the same. Oh, and I like to take advantage of the stays where I get to do something special and make someone’s day! Just tonight I found out my guests are celebrating a 27th wedding anniversary, I was able to sneak a bottle of wine to their door when they were gone for dinner. I think I made someone’s day better 🙂  

we also got a bottle of wine on our honey moon , the host was exceptionally nice , older guy also worked in hospitality before , i totally act like him 

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@MangoandEeg0    A private guesthouse or a room in someone's home is not comparable to a hotel.  I open up part of my private property to strangers and I think I can expect them to treat it with respect.  A big hotel has an easier time to absorb damages, stolen items, etc...I don't.   I treat ll of my guests with respect, but I expect the same in return.  I would never allow myself to become a doormat for anyone.

there are 1000s of hotels around here the competition is brutal , its not like i am one of 10 hosts in a town and there is nowhere else to go , i dont allow lots of things but i play both sides, even some problem i side with guests even its their fault for sake of the review, nothing personal for me i want to sell more and there is no other way or at least this works for me. little bit 2 faced also this operation i have here its more of a business , OK and there is a difference between a few rooms and the whole corridor or 3 floors full of rooms i have , its a business and people have ball hurt business on review but they will be more compassionate with host who live with them , i also was a host living in the same house before and that place was bad and i got better reviews than now and this place is 100 times better . i have to play the game now 

Мария15
Level 8
Moscow, Russia

@MangoandEeg0  Hi! I wonder how would you handle the situation when a guest smokes in a non-smoking apartment? It's not only ruins the property but may affect future guests as well as the property value. Would love to know how do you act in this situation and what kind of review will you leave. Would love to know also how would a 5* hotel employees handle this situation, what is a standard operating procedure on professioanl market. Thanks in advance for your reply!

this happens all the time , it says in my rules also stickers all over and have a big warning penalty if you smoke and less people smoke now , but sometimes happens people smoke anyway , i bought ozonizer machine you put it in the room for 20 minutes and smell is gone, it just happens sometime, i have over 2000 bookings a year

the sign no smoking is there and if people smoke i politely say please dont smoke and let it go without penalty and no threatening with penalty , i clean it next day and ozonize the room , after i put up the penalty stickers it happens rarely now 

If someone brings a pet into a no-pets room, and the next guest has a severe allergy, what's your procedure for that?

If your room is booked by a drug dealer or a prostitute, and the unregistered guests are their clients. what's your procedure for that?

If your guest refuses to check out on time while the next one is waiting, what's your procedure for that?

you make a good point , but i am in Taiwan , that make things alot easier deal with people. also maybe a different rule apply here for the reservations on airbnb if anyone want to make a reservation need to submit passport or ID and pay online. i had a few tenants i found on facebook and i had to kick them out they were that sort of people because they didnt book online , people with bad intentions dont usually book online on airbnb in my experience ,they look for other ways like walk in some hotel and pay cash without ID , some desperate places will accept anyone. 

in this part of the world people are a bit more polite if they need something they ask also for later check out , generally there is no crime here , i leave my keys in scooter outside for last 5 years and nobody took my bike , also i never locked door and elevator dont have any key either , also rooms are unlocked and your keys on the bed , people are moral here also its not a poor place. plus this place have cctv with facerecognition 4 on every corner , and its an island you cannot leave . 

if someone feel sick for any reason i help them whatever it takes if i cannot help i would call ambulance. if someone die i have insurance and license and all departments come here check for safety , hygiene, fire man and public safety , if i dont see something they see it and i fix it  , the chances are very slim or non also i have place full off cctv and people behave , but still complain , i let them take out the anger on me and i appologize so they feel special and get paid anyway , sometime i think of me as a punching bag that can take alot 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@MangoandEeg0 

I agree with @Anonymous, you can't compare the hotel with a small private host. It's something completely different.

You also can't compare the room with a separate entrance with the room in someone's apartment where he lives, a small studio apartment in the basement with a villa in another town, your island with Chicago or Vegas, etc...

The beauty of Airbnb is a diversity, everyone can find a perfect place and a perfect host for himself

But being so casual about everything is definitely good for your health and for your guests :))))