Offering a refund when I have a strict cancellation policy

Lucy90
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Offering a refund when I have a strict cancellation policy

I have a suite that is clearly listed for two guests maximum.  I have a couple arriving next week who informed me last night that they have a friend coming for a few days.  We only have 1 double bed, and I do not wish to accommodate extra people on the couch, especially someone who does not have an airbnb profile.  However, I am willing to just offer the guests a full refund and let them find somewhere else, as I think if they come there will be bad feelings from them if I don't allow the extra person.  Can I offer this refund and override my policy?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lucy90  Pretty much it is "your place, your rules".  Message the guests through the Air BNB system that they (definitely not you) will have to cancel the reservation due to your inability to accommodate their last minute change of number of guests outside your maximum.  Advise you are willing to allow a full refund of your fees but Air BNB fees are non-refundable.  You are being very nice so be careful when you receive a notice of the cancellation by the guests that you do NOT agree with it or you will be penalized.  Air BNB will process the cancellation according to your strict cancellation policy.  If you have not done this before, please read the Help Center article about offering a refund.

Justin90
Level 3
Munnar, India

Hi @Lucy90 .. Totally agree with @Linda108 .. If you have any doubts please read the faq and then do it

Lucy90
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Thanks Linda, I just don't understand what you mean by not agreeing to cancellation or I will be penalized?  I know that I should not cancel it myself, but how do I 'not agree"?  Being a relatively new host I haven't encountered this before. Thanks for your help. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Lucy90

In your situation I wouldn't offer a full refund.

I would contact the guest via BNB and say something like @ 'I am sorry that you have had a last minute change to your plans, that mean my property will no longer be suitable for your stay. As you can see by my listing I only have one double bed available for a maximum of two people so cannot accomodate your request to host a third guest. '

Suggest that your guest contact BNB to let them know about their change of plans and see if they can find alternative accommodation that sleeps three.

Say that BNB will then cancel their booking in line with your cancellation policy (I don't know what it is). You can say that if you are able to relet part of all of their stay, you will consider a partial refund.

1. Don't cancel the booking.

2. Some guests send a notification to BNB to say a host has cancelled a booking - if you receive one of these - do not accept it. Decline it.

3. If you recieve a notification from BNB that the GUEST has cancelled the booking. BNB will ask you if you want to refund. Just say no. You can always offer a partial refund once/if you are able to relet.