Offering self-check in and Check-in times

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Offering self-check in and Check-in times

We have a lockbox which I have unchecked from our list of amenities. 

This is because it seems to send the message that people can check in whenever.

We live on site and rent a guest annexe, it does affect us if people check in late as we're very rural and I worry they won't find us. I also like to see who I'm letting in, though I'm fine if we've communicated and arranged it in advance.

Any experiences of owner-on-site self check in please? Do you stick to check in times or relax them with a lockbox?

10 Replies 10
Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I don't do owner check in, but I do have a keypad, and I change the key between guests. I make up a code that I send to them 24 hours in advance, but will not activate it until check in time. I've had people walk in on me while cleaning, and it really scares me when there are people unexpectedly walking in on me.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cheryl389 thanks, that stops early check in then. 

If you don't do owner check in I guess you don't mind them checking in very late?

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

Yeah, I keep it mostly up to them. I sometimes message them to ask when they're checking in if its check in time and they are not there. I also ask them to send me message on Airbnb to let me know that they've gotten in successfully and when they've checked out to keep tabs on it.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cheryl389 thanks. Sounds like you're a little more laid back than me. Do you live in the listing?

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

No, but I am often there when they arrive if they are checking in at a normal time, and I stop by from time to time since there is an apartment on the bottom floor.

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

On the topic, I am pretty sure there are keypads and similar products that have a video recording of the person, which seems expensive but definitely offers additional security. Maybe a system to like buzz them in, so they have to contact you but it wouldn't be as disruptive if they were really late.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike-And-Helen0 

hope you are well. 

We have recently started using Keynest and it works perfectly for us. 

You can sync it up to your Airbnb account so you only need to hand in the key to the local business and the guest picks it from the store within a certain time. 

You can manipulate it so the key is accessible between certain times only, etc and a one off code is needed to collect it. 

Thanks,

yadira 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Mike-And-Helen0 my guesthouse has a keypad, likely the guests will let themselves in,but my listing does specify acceptable hours of arrival.... I discuss all of this early and often and if anything seems fishy then I get more firm and may even meet them before I give them the code.

Just phrase it in your listing that you're looking out for them and their good experience rather than taking care of yourself.

"because of our rural location it is best that all first-time guests schedule to arrive between 4-9"

"we may meet you at arrival or if we're unavailable, we'll make sure you know all you need to to get your trip off to a great start"

etc etc

Gail-And-Rod0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

We don't live onsite but we have a keypad which works well on our property. Also since you are  remote why not add video cameras  (we have them on exterior of property) that way you'll know when Guests arrive. We have ones at the entrance where Guests arrive, front door, driveway and side gate. You can have them set up where convenient  for you but NOT inside of house.

We use Rain system to monitor the video and its wonderful. Another way is to ask them when they are  arriving and leaving. That's probably be your easiest bet.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cheryl389 @Yadira22 @Kelly149 @Gail-And-Rod0 thanks so much for your thoughtful answers. 

I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on tech since its just one guest suite that we only rent at weekends and school holidays.

The take away seems to be that I need better clarity in my listing so people don't think lockbox=ignore check in times. Or I just leave it out of the listing.

Many thanks x