Over friendly host?

Soyoon0
Level 2
Shinjuku, Japan

Over friendly host?

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this but I need a little advice about a host. 

My friend and I booked a room together for a week, and since we're visiting LA we wanted to make sure it was a place with a little privacy so we wouldn't bother the host too much if we came home late at night. We messaged the host before booking letting him know of our plans, and he was fully okay with everything, even suggesting that we could all have drinks together.

Fast forward a couple days and we arrive, and we find out that we're actually staying in his room while he sleeps on the couch in the living room during our stay. This was not mentioned at all anywhere on the listing description, so we were a bit taken aback. He also left all his clothes in the room so he regularly has to enter the room to get changed, which makes us a little uncomfortable as we're two females. 

He was very friendly when we first arrived, offering to buy us alcohol at the grocery store to drink back at his place, which we found odd but we figured he was just being super welcoming. Over time though we started to feel like he oversteps his boundaries with certain comments; for example he called us "lazy" when my friend took a photo of the wifi password to send to me instead of reading it out loud, or when we woke up later the next morning he commented "FINALLY I can go change" and just barged into our room. When we were unable to finish our drinks on the first night he made fun of us for "already going to sleep without even drinking it all", kind of pressuring us to finish our drinks. Also it makes it very awkward that he keeps talking as if he is included in our plans, always stating "we" or "our" when talking about future plans for our stay. Apparently he is very new at Airbnb which leads us to think he might be a little misinformed about what it actually entails. 

Now we feel extremely uncomfortable staying here for a full week. He is taking a break from work which means he is in the living room 24/7 (doesn't really leave the house) and the house isn't very big so we have to face him whenever we leave the room. We feel like these details should have been included in his listing, or at least mentioned when we messaged him before booking.

What would be a good way to confront him about these things? We don't want to make things awkward because as mentioned above, it's a small apartment and we have to face him every time we leave the room, but at the same time we are extremely uncomfortable with things as they are. To be honest we would not have booked this room if we had known the full details. Could we get any advice on how to deal with this situation?

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Soyoon0  The host's behavior is entirely unprofessional and inappropriate, as is his hosting situation. He obviously doesn't get it at all. 

You should contact Airbnb ASAP and explain what's going on, tell them you're very uncomfortable and creeped out by the host, who seems to not understand the difference between guests and girls he's trying to have fun with, that the listing was inaccurate-the room isn't private, as he has all his clothes in there and keeps going in and out, and ask them to please rehome you immediately. He doesn't sound dangerous, but you never know how pushy he's going to get and trying to ply you with alcohol is not a good situation for 2 young women to be in. I'd be afraid for a single woman who booked his place. Not to mention it's sort of ruining your holiday.

You're right, at first we thought we might just stick it out until the end of the week but I'll follow your advice and contact Airbnb about the whole situation. Thank you for the advice!