PLEASE HELP - Airbnb NOT helping with Damages

Robin-and-Lisa0
Level 2
Overland Park, KS

PLEASE HELP - Airbnb NOT helping with Damages

We recently had a guest who did not take good care of our lake house.  Our house cleaners had to spend double the amount of time (and double the pay) they would normally spend cleaning.  They had to clean:  vomit on floors and in bags, wet towels all over floors, cleaning popcorn celling debris that was knocked off onto floors and tables, spilled alcohol, an immense amount of trash and much more.  We will have to replace soaking wet pillows and have all our carpets cleaned.  The guests followed none of the check-out procedures and left our lakehouse in the worst shape it’s been in 2 years of renting it.  If another renter had been arriving after his departure, it would not have been cleaned in time, as our cleaners spent 7 hours cleaning the renters messes and we would have lost additional revenue.  

I put in a case with Airbnb for the damages the day he checked-out and have called and followed up with them approximately 8-10 times to see if we can get a resolution.  This all took place on 8/21/22 and I have yet to get an email or call or follow-up from Airbnb other than them telling me "it is being escalated".  I tried to resolve it with the guest as per Airbnb's instructions, but had no success.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this resolved, short of calling and emailing Airbnb?  I am close to pulling my property off this platform and only doing business with VRBO.  It's not THAT much money, but now it has become a hill for me to die on because of their lack of response.  It's the principal of it all at this point. 

Any suggestions appreciated!  

Robin 

3 Replies 3
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Robin-and-Lisa0 Did you attach an invoice from the cleaning crew? Also, from other posts I’ve read, airbnb is extremely slow in responding to problems. 

Yes we attached the venmo payment to the cleaning crew. Thank you for the note. We will keep waiting….

My outdoor table is ruined, the yard grass is damaged, my 50" color tv is missing, my black marble glass buffet table, is missing, my new couch is damaged, the wood coffee table is scratch up, dogs have urinated on my carpet, carpet is damaged, four of my dressers are missing, two newer mattress and box springs missing, new couch is damaged, and the list goes on. I did file a police report and reported it to ABB and now they are taking legal steps on the guests, so I'm still waiting on their outcome, I did send pictures of everything in the house, before and after. I am now sleeping in my car and so far, ABB has offered to put me in a hotel for one night until they can finish their process. I really don't know at this moment what I am going to do until then because I have my two small dogs with me living out of my car. This so far has been a very bad experience for my first time hosting. So until then, I will wait. Also the landlord told me that I should have read the fine print. Please don't make the same mistake I did by not reading the full lease agreement but I must say, if you follow the rules it's money to be made doing this.