guests with a gun

Charles52
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

guests with a gun

We recently had guests who after arriving told us they had a permit to carry a 9mm Glock handgun which they had with them. We thanked them for their honesty in advising us that they had it with them. However, we are not comfortable with guests having guns. How do other hosts manage this with their listings?

Thanks

Charles

16 Replies 16
Jim60
Level 1
Chanhassen, MN

Maybe just include your preference on firearms as part of the "house rules" and make sure no booking can be made without anyone agreeing to said "house rules".

I agree to this but how do we phrase it?

We are a gun free household

We do not allow firearms on the property

If you are a firearms carrier your firearm must remain off the property

I just want to make sure it comes across effectively and respectfully-

copied and pasted, ty.

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I have thought about this since I have kids in my house, and I am in Idaho where a lot of people carry & a permit is not necessary to do so.  I have a weapon of my own, so it doesn't make me nervous per se for a guest to have a gun, but I would prefer to know if guests have guns, and where they are stored, because of the kids.  Not just my kids, but we have a lot of neighbor kids over so even if everyone knows the guest room is off limits, it only takes a second for an accident to occur.  I have wondered whether, at a minimum, to request guests to keep their guns in their locked vehicle, or possibly provide a safe for valuables, including guns.  Interesting issue.

Hey guys, if anybody implies that they have a right to bring a gun into your house and you have a policy that forbids this, they violate the law. The 2nd Amendment was designed primarily so people that want to have guns in their own house to have them, not so that they can force you to have them in your house. You are the only one that gets to say if anybody can have ANY KIND OF WEAPON in your house. This is so basic that I can think of 3 gun rights groups that would fight for your right to NOT have guns in your house. But you don't even have to let it get that far. Any responsible gun owner who wants to be your guest will probably ask if you are ok with guns in the house. And even if they don't, you at any time just as a householder have the right to ask any guest that makes you feel threatened to leave. If they do not leave, they are guilty of trespass. If they have guns, they are guilty of aggravated trespass.

Guys, this would be the same as if you told a guest that you have a child that is sensitive to peanut oil so no peanut oil in the house. If your guest starts cooking with peanut oil they have voilated your terms of service, period. And if there's a disagreement, fortunately Airbnb will step in and mediate a solution. Guns are more serious than peanut oil and the law treats them the same way. If you feel threatened by a guest with a gun and you ask them to leave and they don't? Airbnb is the least of their problems. So you can just very politely say "I'm sorry I didn't know you had guns. I am not comfortable with guns in this house. I need you to leave now". And that is so OK. It's so OK that the good guys with guns will come and try to rescue you. OK so I hope we are all OK with this OK? OK. Blessings!
Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Just be careful Airbnb doesn't put "gun carriers" in the disrimination policy 😉

Good one! They'll do that the same day they publish the "mandatory 12 pack policy" so we don't discriminate against drunks.
Leanne--Angel-0
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

We do not allow guests to have firearms on the property. I reserve that right for myself, y'all.
Your firearm must remain off the property.
I just want to make sure this comes across effectively and respectfully.

- Your host

TEXAS version

If you have to carry, one might be better served in a conventional hotel rather than Airbnb. Where I live, a commercial hotel or motel room if one is not disqualified from ownership and/or possession of a firearm,  the room once reserved is however long or short the stay is,  then legally considered an extension of your permanent home/domicile with all the rights and privileges thereto and all constitutional protections including the right to bear arms.

In many hotels and motels here,  people stay there indefinitely so long as they pay and becomes their residence once certain acts establishing residency ie: mail forwarding, voter registration,  ID change,  etc.  The powers-that-be here recognized that fact and therefore  passed laws to protect the rights we all have in our own homes.  An Airbnb however is often someone else's residence  therefore the owner of that residence has every right to allow or disallow firearms.   Someone staying in a conventional hotel or motel for the most part is no different than being a tenant in a regular apartment,  house or the like with all the rights and privileges thereto.

Airbnb=Someone else's home. 

Regular hotel/motel=either a temporary extension of your own or once certain acts are done and as long as you pay, can become your home and all rights and privileges of a tenant including all constitutional rights and protection. 

Rob424
Level 2
Liberty, TX

If someone wants to accommodate gun owners they could post some safety rules.  

Have a clearing area.  Like a bucket of sand that the weapon must be pointed at while the person clears the pistol. With posted directions on proper clearing procedures. And then loading of the pistol must be done outside. 

So upon entry to the house they clear their firearm.  An empty firearm can’t shoot. 

There are no dangerous guns. Just dangerous people.  Anyone with a permit has already had an FBI background check and basic firearms training

Rob, I'd like to say this is true, but it's not.  The state of Missouri requires no basic firearms training, and only a preliminary background check.  Gunowners frequently bypass even this minor background check when they purchase weapons at guns shows.  Zero background checks required here.  Also, the premise that there are no dangerous guns, just dangerous people is a fallacy for many reasons.  

I currently have a gun carrying guest who didn't reveal this information until yesterday.  He'd been in my home for several days by then.  He carries it with him constantly and sleeps with it.  I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to deal with this.  I have no children in the house, and I do not own a gun.  I also consider myself to be a fair minded, level-headed person and am taking a laid back approach to this.  But I have to say, this was a particularly inappropriate handling from a supposedly law abiding, registered gun owner.  

Yeah, were kind of in the same boat here in CO as proficiency is not a requirement for a concealed permit.  You can literally get a permit without ever having pulled a trigger.  Just because someone passes a background check and sits in a 4 hr class, doesn't mean they know firearm safety.

Did you say anything to the guest? I am currently in the same boat.