Palm Springs New Vacation Rental Restrictions

Jeff101
Level 1
Palm Springs, CA

Palm Springs New Vacation Rental Restrictions

Fellow Palm Springs Hosts

As you may well know the Palm Springs City Council has passed new restrictions on Short Term Vacation Rentals, and the most onerosu is the limitation of 32 contracts per year.  There are a lot of people - not just vacation home owners - that are unhappy about the local goverment's actions.  We want to get discussion going so we can be unified in action.

One good spot where conversation is going on is on https://www.facebook.com/Brian.L.Wilson/posts/10154371071719317

Lets get into action!

24 Replies 24
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jeff101  Why don't you start a Palm Springs Home Sharing Club?  I started one in La Quinta.  See information about Home Sharing Clubs under Discuss.  Feel free to private message me if you want to discuss my experience.

Lesley28
Level 3
California, United States

@Linda108 How do I pm you? Can't figure it out 

Does this mean if I purchase property in Palm Springs, then I cannot use it for an Air BNB?  What if it was an AIR BNB when I purchased it?  Does La Quinta allow Air BNB?

Yes short term rental is allowed once you obtain a business license and register. You  have to pay a 10% occupancy tax on earnings. Most HOAs do not allow STR however.

Lesley28
Level 3

You can still do STR in Palm Springs BUT lots of new ordinances restrictions and huge FINES! We have had a STR in PS for 4 years and think it’s time to get out. The attempt at an all out ban failed BUT the city continues to make it miserable! Funny thing is I was already doing most of the rules with my guests anyways. But the constant threat of these fines and lose of your permit are very stressful. As well as telling me to provide a list of 5 friends /family that are allowed to stay at my home. The city has completely overstepped and there should be a class action suit for what they have done. This city council is out of control! Oh and did I mention the audit they’re putting us all through?! Going back 4 years. Another attempt to squeeze more money from us and make STR owners miserable! The annual permit went from $225 to $923! Please justify that! Except now they’ve given a few people cars and a little power to just drive around hoping to find something they can fine you for. 

I would advise anyone looking to purchase a home in Palm Springs as an income property or who is currently self-managing to hire an agency. I stopped self-managing, and while I'm making less money, the stress reduction is dramatic. The city clearly wants to stop all self-managing with their discriminatory auditing. That said, the market is still great for STRs. Just don't go it alone.  

Marc28
Level 3
West Hollywood, CA

Glad to see a post about this. Seems like Airbnb has been completely silent regarding this huge blow to Palm Springs hosts. It would be nice if they at least offered some support, even if it were just words. And now they are promoting Instant Book listings in search results, further penalizing those of us who can't use Instant Book for fear of surpassing the new "32-stay" cap.

I'm interested in becoming active in opposing all of this, but I don't see much hope or a way out of it. I at least hope a lawsuit will force the "5 friends and family members" rule out of existence, sinve it seems completely illegal. We basically don't own our homes anymore.

Lesley28
Level 3

Id like to know if AirBNB is doing anything legally to help stop this? They are now planning on a a ballot initiative in November To outright BAN ALL vacation homes! Obviously this is upsetting from multiple perspectives. I would think AirBNB would want to assist in this travesty as this could set a precedent that could spread to all cities and effectively put all vacation rental owners as well as AirBNB. 

@Lesley28  In my original posting on this discussion thread, I suggested hosts in Palm Springs should start a Home Sharing Club which is a vehicle for hosts to get together and for Air BNB be supportive of these efforts.  See Home Sharing Clubs under Discuss.  

I mentioned that I had started such a club here in La Quinta.  What prompted me was all the negativity coming out of Palm Springs.  We are having a meeting this Thursday, March 25th and Air BNB representative will be attending.  Private message me if you are interested in attending.

A Home Sharing Club is a great idea, because it is clear Airbnb is not super invested in smaller markets. We'll need to fight for ourselves. Such an organization has recently been formed called Vacation Rental Homeowners & Neighbors of Palm Springs.

All Palm Springs hosts should join VRON if they want any chance at stopping the many forces against VRs. Go here to become a member: [Link Hidden] 

Lesley28
Level 3

Thank you @Linda108 for the info. Unfortunately I'm not able to attend but if you could keep me in the loop and suggestions on where to start one in PS it would be appreciated. I have contacted legal @ and they are involved. 

To contact Air BNB about starting a PS Home Sharing Club, go to the bottom of the home page and there is a box.  Keep me posted.

Hi Lesley,

I came across this platform.  I am a new owner in Indio across the street from the Polo Grounds. This was my 2nd year . Was wondering how I can join the La Quinta Club or if you know if Indio has one.  Have you hear of any restrictions in Indio? 

Thanks, Peggy

Hi @Peggy112  This is Linda.  You have posted on a discussion thread that is almost 3 years old so the information provided is out of date.  Air BNB no longer supports the Home Clubs, so the La Quinta Club is not active.  If you want to know about Indio  short term vacation rental regulations, go to the city site and enter those terms in search.  You will find what you need.  If your home is in a gated community, there may be restrictions against STVR, so check with your HOA as well.  Hope this helps