Pay Less Upfront - Credit Card Expired Before Second Payment

Claxton0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Pay Less Upfront - Credit Card Expired Before Second Payment

Hello, 

I recently booked an Airbnb and opted to pay less upfront. We paid for 50% of the Airbnb up front, and will be paying the other 50% in a few months. 

The card the I paid the first half of the Airbnb on is now expired. Can I pay the second half on a different credit card? 

I hope somebody can help as we are worried about about loosing our Airbnb 1 month before the reservation when the payment goes to the expried card and gets declined.

Thank you for any help you can provide. 

22 Replies 22
Mark-TP0
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

It is clear that ABB developers or the project heads have never used the app or the website to make a booking etc or tey would come across this.  GThe good(or bad news is) ABB is no better or worse than most companies.

Afterall they dont need to go to the effort to go without, save funds, buy property, decorate it to an exceptional standard like hosts do etc.  They "just" need to get the technology right - shouldnt be too difficult....

Daniel1727
Level 2
Vantaa, Finland

Yes exact same problem, expired credit card when paying 50/50. Will wait for notification and try and change then. Anyone know if it comes as push notification/email? Anyone know how many days before reservation they will attempt to charge the card so i can keep an eye out?

Usually AirBnB service is pretty smooth but these rare processes are a pain. Hopefully they add an "update card" option to the reservation.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel1727   Also talk to your credit card company- I've read that if you get a new card when the old one has expired, they will often just roll any charges that come through to the old card onto the new one. 

Angela667
Level 2
Dundee, GB

Just to update, this situation has not been resoved as yet by the Airbnb developers as it has happened to me this evening. As a superhost for over 4 years I have never been let down with payment either way. The instructions sent out to holders of expired cards is obviously lacking. The new card details are not used to make the final payment and you have to get in touch with Airbnb directly to change this, which is clumsy and quite frankly archaic, and was not clear in the email regarding failed payment. Now I have to wait on the host to refund the original booking deposit as her policy is strict and I am due to get no refund, despite re-booking on exactly the same terms within minutes of the cancellation notice coming through. The gentleman I was speaking to at Airbnb has reported this issue 3 times previously to the development team, and seeing by the date of earlier posts this is something that needs rectified and is not being actioned. People lose cards, change banks etc. There are many factions out to discredit Airbnb, this hole should have been sorted out long ago.

This just happened to me too.  Card in original booking worked for first payment as expiry date was still active. We updated the card details re new expiry and new cvv on same card number between first and second payment to ensure second payment worked. It didn't. It still used the old expiry/cvv which was attached to the original first payment. Why it allowed me to do this if it cannot process it is beyond me! Obviously there is a big gap in the use case testing for this product. The booking has now been cancelled 8 days away with a partial  refund. I also have the same issue about to hit for other bookings and have contacted airbnb to get it resolved. This is very poor considering we still righty want the booking to remain intact (uncancel it) and for the second payment to be issued against the correct expiry and cvv  which I had updated! I have contacted BOTH the host and airbnb and waiting on a response but looking at this thread I suspect it will not be smooth and we may even lose our booking at such a late stage in family summer holidays! I suggest you make sure that your card will not expire/change/get lost 😉  between first and second payment. I also suggest to airbnb that they make this VERY clear when users go to create or update credit card details.

Gabca0
Level 1
Drnek, Czech Republic

Hi all, I hope the following information will help. A few weeks ago I realized I scheduled my payments for October while my card expires in September, stumbled upon this thread and despaired. However, I've since found out that you can actually change the payment method for individual stays, even though it's definitely not intuitive to find and it took me some time. Here it is: Go to "Trips" -> "Show Trip Details" (on individual trips - if you have more stays booked in this way like I did, you're going to have to do this in each individual trip) and click on "Your house reservation" - NOT "contact host" OR "change reservation" BUT ABOVE that - this is the part that's not intuitive. Scroll down to "Payment details" and click on "Get Receipts and Manage Payments". Then scroll down to "Scheduled Payments" and "update payment details". There you'll either be able to add and/or change your payment method or, you can use your old payment method and pay on the spot. Since I only had the "expiration is nearing" problem, I opted to pay on the spot. So far so good - am not traveling yet, but I have received the receipt for the second pay in my e-mail. Of course this isn't without its problems - when I want to access the two different receipts on the webpage, I cannot (there's a server error - obviously Airbnb is not dealing with this and the programming is not set up to even be able to view receipts if you have more than 1). I hope this will help at least some of you! 

Dana359
Level 1
Cypress, TX

I followed your steps Gabca1 but instead of paying now I changed to my other credit card. I got a confirmation message that the payment method was changed successfully. What a relief - partially. I will monitor my account daily closer to the second payment date and make sure it goes through. Would be nice if Air BnB put this set of steps in their FAQ!

Petyo0
Level 1
Novi Iskar, Bulgaria

Just to update for other users who arrive here - The solution posted above is listed in the Help center.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/823/how-do-i-edit-remove-or-add-a-payment-method#section-heading...

I have just changed my card for the upcoming payments. 🙂