Pay Less Upfront - Credit Card Expired Before Second Payment

Claxton0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Pay Less Upfront - Credit Card Expired Before Second Payment

Hello, 

I recently booked an Airbnb and opted to pay less upfront. We paid for 50% of the Airbnb up front, and will be paying the other 50% in a few months. 

The card the I paid the first half of the Airbnb on is now expired. Can I pay the second half on a different credit card? 

I hope somebody can help as we are worried about about loosing our Airbnb 1 month before the reservation when the payment goes to the expried card and gets declined.

Thank you for any help you can provide. 

22 Replies 22

@Claxton0

go to your Account Settings -> Payment Methods ....and remove the out of date card details and input the new card details

when it comes to pay your next 50% it should then take from the new card 

Hey Mike,

I tried but it says payment method associated with a reservation can not be removed.

@Claxton0    Click  here for links to Contact Airbnb   I'm surprised there isn't an update card area.

Thanks!  This helped us contact AirBnB and resolve the issue.

Mark-TP0
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

It wouldnt surprise me with ABB at all.

Mark-TP0
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

Theres a thing.  Top 10 ABB folks dont know everything.

Phoning ABB when you finally find a contact number - usually by way of a surprise in a general google search rather than the ABB help - appears to do the trick

This is not the case! I have had the same situation and tonight my reservation was cancelled despite contacting the host and also inputing my new card details. As a result my original booking is cancelled and I am out of pocket of my original deposit of £174 till the host agrees to refund. I immeadiately re-booked. This is an obvious hole in the booking system and as a superhost it needs closed to stop other guests experiencing the same. The instructions are not clear.

Kristina158
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

@Claxton0 Hi Claxton, I am facing the same issue and can't seem to find the solution! Have you found anything out yet? Thanks !

Ian307
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

@Claxton0 I'm also having the exact same issue. I have added my new credit card into my account but I have been unable to remove the expired card. 

I am concerned that if the second payment fails the booking will be cancelled - it's our summer holiday for the family so that would not be good! 

Did anyone solve this issue?

Elizabeth849
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Same problem here- I paid the first half and then lost my credit card.  I have to cancel the card and be issued a new one.  I can add the new card when I get it to the payment option and set it as the default card, but I have read that this did not work for people and the old card was run instead, declined, and the reservation was canceled.  I don't want this to happen.  I texted with Airbnb expert but didn't get resolution on the matter.  Anyone have any advice?

@Elizabeth849  When the next psyment is due AirBnB will debit the old card. Once rejected you will get notification from AirBnB and have 24 hours to put a new payment method on the reservation booking or they will cancel the reservation on you. They will not use the new credit card information you you set up for a previo booking. It's a ridiculous way to do it, but it's the way it's currently setup. 

Thank you!  I called Airbnb and  I added my new card and set it as default.  The woman I spoke with says she did something on her end to assure the payment would come from my new card, not the defunct one.  Not sure if it that's really the case, but will watch and see what happens.  It should be easy by adding a new default card,  I don't understand why they can't just streamline that option.  

Hi Elizabeth, 

I am facing the same problem but cannot find a number where I can call Airbnb. How did you find a phone number for them?

I am in the UK dont know if that makes a difference.

Meant to be making a payment tomorrow and currently very stressed!

Thanks Simon

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Claxton0

This is another initiative that Airbnb introduced without doing the necessary troubleshooting, its an obvious thing to me that would happen yet Airbnb did not programme for it.