Payment to Cuban Hosts

Casa-Madiba0
Level 2
Camaguey, Cuba

Payment to Cuban Hosts

Hello ABnB Community:

How does the payout works for Cuban nationals, neither online banking nor credit card service are guaranteed in Cuba. I am guessing that pay upon arrival could be an option? Please crarify.

Casa Madiba

18 Replies 18
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Casa-Madiba0 Oh, no, never accept cash payments as it is a violation of Airbnb's Terms of Service and very risky for you.  Airbnb can and will terminate your account without notice or explanation if you accept cash as a reservation payment. 

Can you give more details about what you mean by online banking and credit cards are "not guaranteed" in Cuba?  When you confirm a guest's reservation request, Airbnb charges their credit card and holds the payment for you until 24 hours after your stated check in time.  After 24 hours, Airbnb will send you a message telling you that your payout has been sent to whichever account you have selected for payouts.  It's very secure and reliable.  

I'm sure other Cuban hosts have successfully set up their payout accounts so I'm not sure I understand your question.  Please clarify!

All is clear now Clare. I contacted VaCuba and they have cleared my question about payout as well as the advice of not receiving cash as payment. Understood.

Could you please tell me what did vacuba said. I would like to know

Hello can you tell us how did you contacted vacuba? Do you have a phone number or email? We have problems getting paid since december. Thanks 

While it is now legal for US-based financial institutions to do business in Cuba, none will until there is significant policy change on the US side that would make things more stable. Cubans cannot directly access money from Airbnb. They have to go through a third party, called VaCuba, which is based in the US. VaCuba has connections in Cuba that they wire the money to, and they deposit money in Cuban checking accounts. 

Most Cuban hosts have reported late payments from VaCuba, some as late as two months. Additionally, the legality of VaCuba's business model has been called into question. The Cuban banking system is run by one of the military organizations that the US State Department has deemed illegal for US entities to do business with.

The best approach for Cuban hosts is to work with a US-based friend or relative. Have that person wire you the money via Western Union. Even better would be for Airbnb to change their payment policy with Cuban casas, and to wire the money directly themselves. If enough people complain, maybe they will. Follow this link to encourage Airbnb to wire money directly to Cuban hosts: https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Good luck!

Luli--Maria-0
Level 1
North Vancouver, Canada

How do I get a hold of vacuba? Do they have information how to get paid as cuban host ? Please please help ! 

Did anyone ever get the VACuba number?  We are having trouble receiving payout.  We just joined being a host in December and have had 3 visitors and still no payment to my bank account.

Floiret0
Level 2
Vinales, Cuba

Why the remittance agency designated by VaCuba does not provide the hosts with a reference number / name the booking was made under? I have had different payouts for the same amount and I have to guess what payment is matching . I have returned payouts because they have not matched with 

Continuation from previous post

The payouts dlivered by VaCuba agency /partner in Cuba ,at times,  don't match up with the payout confirmed by airbnb .  I have had to return "unmatched" payouts . It's hard to understand that  Va Cuba cannot use the booking reference number (or at least the name that appears on the booking ) to make the payout delivery process less confusing and more reliable.

Mark407
Level 1
Breckenridge, CO

Has anyone figured out this system perfectly? I am trying to help set up a host, and I'm not sure how best to proceed. What exactly is the process that needs to be taken within Cuba. How do they contact VaCuba, and then how can they set up their Airbnb account in country? Can anyone help? It is also a smaller town, so if anyone has tips for those living in smaller towns, please advise. Thank you.

Hello Mark:

Please note that my impressions are just based on my personal experience with VaCuba/Airbnb :

Often ,it's difficult to undestand the airbnb/VaCuba payout distribution system . Both agencies  are hard to contact and both only send out generic-like responses when asked about specific payouts. Once you get to correspond with "direct " staff on both sides, you are told that both have different tracking/reference booking #.

How does it work ?

VaCuba is a Miami-Based travel agency that also offers services such as :  remittances , mail and delivery of parcels and packets to Cubans. Yes, they have been in the market for over 30 years. (Va Cuba Website is available and updated if you want to contact them directly ) .

Due to VaCuba is an OFAC-licensed agency ; they are allowed , under US regulations,  to send remittances to Cuban nationals residing there . As Cuba lacks a reliable and modern financial and banking system ( blame the Embargo if you wish ) , it is not possible for Airbnb to send payouts to hosts in Cuba directly to a bank account . Therefore, Airbnb transfers the payouts to VaCuba.

VaCuba then includes the payouts as remittances and distributes them to hosts in Cuba paying in  cash directly to said hosts .

The problem (s) is (are)  that I see here are  :

1-The estimated VaCuba delivery timeframe is  NEVER according to what airbnb sends/says  in their payout confirmantion messages. That is ,there is always a delay ( more so when it's Holidays or anyother significant days throught the year when VaCuba is unable to meet  their payout delivery schedules  (due to the expected high operations volume.).

2- Like I said before, due to a lack of a common and only one tracking number ( Airbn-VaCuba) , when payouts are hand-carried to hosts in Cuba, it gets very confusing provided that hosts may be expecting late or current payments of similar amount-of-days bookings  . For instance , you may have had three-nights bookings in the past two/three weeks. The carrier knocks at your door and hands you two payouts . When you ask the carrier which of the two payments corresponds to what it is due  , he/she may simply say that they " don't know  and they are just doing the job " and make you sign a paper log ( in exchange of your payout )  which also lacks the airbnb booking reference # or/and name the booking was made under.  So, expect to apply common and guessing sense to know what you are receiving .

3- Any host can also designate a co-host anywhere in the world.  If the hosts assigns a co-host 100 % of the payment and you live where direct deposit is possible, that would be ideal to keep up with your payments . The down side here would be how to transfer the money to the host in Cuba ( in the event that your bank institution doesn't have connections with Cuban banks) . Due to poor/almost no internet conectivity in Cuba, it is also advisable to have a co-host that could co-manage the listing operations. If that's the case , the co-host may communicate via e-mail wih the host  to faciliate communication regarding all the listing operation . That would greatly impact ( in a good way)  the response rate and provide the guests re-assurance to all their questions/concerns/requests, etc.

Eventhough, this whole process seems to be difficult to navigate , I must say that the majority of the time the host gets their payouts ( out of the estimated delivery time schedule).

If you are in the US , do not bother to call VaCuba. If so, be ready to listen to different excuses and never get to talk to apparently the only staff handling airbnb operations.  The best to contact them is via e-mail ( provided by airbnb when you conatct them and have to pass to different tiers responding to the same question over and over again ) . They is no Customer Service Number for airbnb guest/host where you can call unless it is an emergency .

Also , note that VaCuba doesn't have an established office in Cuba.Their distribution network relies on locals that go to your house on private cars/motorcyclesn and do not have an agency indetification with them.

I hope that this information may be useful for you and Good Luck!!

Floiret Diaz

Dear All,

I have recently opened an account. as of now I have approved a couple of bookings. However, I have chosen cash in CUC and came to know a while ago that cash payments can't be made. Cuba is a peculiar country where huge lost is faced when transferring from USD to CUC, the local currency. Please advise sincde I am a bit worried now. regards to you all

Hello : please contact VaCuba via this email: **

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

The host I am helping in Cuba still has not received her payout to her bank account.   They owe her approximatly 500 dollars.    Its been over 1 month.  Does anyone have any suggestions of who to contact at VACuba to find out?