Paypal is not available to use as payment method

Ignacio-R-0
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Paypal is not available to use as payment method

Hi community,

I'm trying to book a room and I'm checking the Paypal payment method is not available. The page shows me the following message:

"This payment method can’t be used. Select another currency or payment method"

Is this happened because the host can decide to use only VISA or MASTERCARD and avoid receiving payments from Paypal? or because of something else?

I'd like to use Paypal to rent this room as I've done in lots of other trips.

Thanks in advance for your help and kind regards!

Ignacio RG.

16 Replies 16

@Ignacio-R-0, the host has no ability to choose what payment methods are acceptable. AirBnB is the sole decider as to what methods of payment can be used.

Paypal is an approved method of payment, but AirBnB says Paypal might not be available depending on what currency you are using:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/486/how-do-i-use-paypal-to-pay

Ignacio-R-0
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Thanks for your answer Matthew,

So, you're giving me a very helpful information. I thought the host can choose the method of payment. I've used Paypal to pay in Airbnb many times and I didn't have any problem. Now, I've removed the paypal account in order to add it again and I can't. I can only add credit cards. Do you know if there is a restriction to use Paypal, maybe, because I'm in Argentina? I tried to find something in Internet about it but I couldn't see anything...

Thanks in advance for your help!! 😃

@Ignacio-R-0 you can certainly choose what method of payment you use to *pay* for things, and to receive payments from AirBnB.

I thought you were asking if hosts could specify that guests could only pay via Visa or MasterCard, and not using Paypal or something else.

There are some restrictions to using PayPal in Argentina. You should contact PayPal support for details of the restrictions.

Hi Matthew, I am having exactly the same problem as Ignacio above...but I live in London, UK.

Any help on how to add PayPal as a payement method in airbnb?

Dorian

Also removed my Paypal account and now I am not able to add it back. Only shows cards. Let me know if anyone found a solution or work around.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ignacio-R-0

The offer of using PayPal as payment method varies with the country.  I have a Norwegian airbnb account, and even though I do have a PayPal account.

But I know it is available for some as I just had a booking from a German account and they had used PayPal to pay for their stay.

Roger343
Level 1
Clackamas, OR

The payment system is completely **bleep**ed. It wont take any form of paymeent from me.

Marcelo400
Level 2
Santiago, Chile

I'm having a related issue.

My guest is attempting to pay but she's having her credit card declined by unknown reasons. Now I'm suggesting she selects Paypal as payment method but the Airbnb chat will not allow the word 'Paypal' and will display the 'Hidden by Airbnb'.

It's very annoying, as Paypal is a legitimate payment method supported by them. But yeah, they would pay some fees, wouldn't they? That's how it feels to pay fees, Airbnb.

@Marcelo400  I can assure you that Airbnb does not pay fees to Paypal if they accept that payment method. They would add those fees into their service fees- the guest would be charged for that.

Fair point!

Btw, is anyone experiencing credit card rejections lately? My credit card was already configured in Airbnb as a valid payment and it got rejected when I wanted to pay for my reservation. 

I decided to remove the card as payment method and add it back again. It now gets rejected at this point as well. Airbnb's online help says that these rejections have to do with the user's bank, not with them.

That is strange as my card is valid everywhere else (e.g. Uber) and other local commerce.

I'm still clueless. And missing a business opportunity as my guest is still unable to pay.

Cara95
Level 1
Girgarre East, Australia

Hey @Marcelo400  I am having exactly the same issue - did you ever discover what the problem was? 

Michael4502
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Hello, I was having the same problem - I removed my old PayPal account but could not find an obvious way to add my new one.
However, I did find a solution.
If you proceed with the payment, you can select a drop down box that will have PayPal as an option. You can then link your current PayPal account.
After that, it shows your PayPal account as an option again.
This worked for me just now 🙂

Its probably too long after your message Michael, but if you have any ideas I'd be grateful! For two days I have tried to change a booking for May this year, just shortening by one day. So the orginal booking was paid for using Paypal. But now, the host having agreed the change, when I click accept on the new dates, there's a problem with Paypal. I think the screen said 'problem authorising Paypal'. 

I've been using online support and telephoning both airbnb and Paypal -hours of time- but they each say its the other's fault. Totally stuck. 

So basically, I can't get further than the change being agreed with my host. The refund page just doesn't complete because of this 'not authorised' message. Paypal on the phone confirm there's nothing wrong with my account, & it is authorised (I use it regularly). I'm in the UK. 

Tony1061
Level 1
San Remo, AU

First time user about to embark on an around the world trip. PayPal payment not accepted. Was planning to use Airbnb everywhere. The hassle of not allowing this method of payment for a 12 week trip is a hassle.