Pets

Peggy77
Level 1
Coburg, OR

Pets

Hi there,

I am new to Airbnb.  I would like to allow for small pets (dogs).  I can't see where I can add a pet deposit.  I do have a security deposit but if someone has a pet I'd like to have a bit more to take care of any issues their pet might have or might leave.  Is it possible to add a pet deposit seperate from a security deposit?

16 Replies 16

@Peggy77:
The deposit would cover any and all damage no matter the source. Airbnb does not differentiate between pets and people.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Peggy77

Are familiar with the way the SD operates?

David
Caryn3
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

I agree with Peggy... I don't need to charge a security deposit every time; but I do want to charge extra if someone brings a pet. There is a place to add extra charge for extra people, but not for pets. This would be nice, because there is extra laundry/cleaning involved when guests bring pets. There should be an extra charge.

@Caryn3

You could make clear on your listing that pets count as people for pricing purposes.

David

There is no "pet fee" button. I charge an additional fee for pets and explain it in my listing description. When someone books and wants to bring their pet, I send them the additional fee through the Airbnb Resolution Center. The fee has to be accepted before I send the guest the door code on check in day. It very easy and the extra fee is not subject to the Airbnb service fee percentage for guest or host. 

That's if the guest declares they have pets. I have a guest who did not and has 3 dogs. I have no issue with that but want to be able to charge additional fees or I will be losing money. It's also why it's critical I TALK with guests prior.... to get this addressed upfront, but Airbnb doesn't allow that either. 

@Ali40 

I like this idea and want to try it. Can you give me a link to your listing or more detailed information on how to carry this out?

I’m pretty sure you can click on my profile to see my listing. After someone books my apartment, I just request money for the pet fee through the Airbnb resolution center. 

I'm a dog lover, but I'd be upset if someone showed up with 3 dogs.  That's unscrupoulously taking advantage.  While you may not mind, the traveler(s) should not assume that no host would.  That's very generous of you to allow it.  I wouldn't, not even for added fees.  I've found that guests do not always pick up after their pets ... and they expect their pet to be able to meander around my house.  I asked my most recent guest to keep their dog on a leash because he was barking and chasing after my cat, and the guest whine "that's not fair!"

I agree as my guests have been honest about there pets being on the furniture so far.  I would like to charge extra for a pet simply because, its extra cleaning: floors and blankets that are covering the leather furnature.    

I am implementing a cost per night for pets to cover cleaning costs.   When we recently traveled the hotels charge 20 a night for a pet. 

Curious if anyone else is doing this as well within Airbnb 🙂 

Thank you and have a super day!

I have somebody staying with me at the moment, his kennel costs for his 2 dogs are more than I charge for him, need to change business.

David

Agreed. 

Please see my rule below. I do not have a fix fee. A furry dog/cat will shed more hair than a breed that is not furry. I will charge more for those.   

Benjamin471
Level 2
Santa Maria, CA

I am certainly not telling you what to do but I would not allow pets.  I am a pet lover and used to allow for pets on my listings.  After two very bad expereinces I decided it was just not worth it. One dog shed so badly I had to spend 3 times what I normally do to clean a room.  I almost lost a booking over it.  The last straw was when a guest thought it was a brilliant idea to lock his two dogs in my guest room for 6 hours.   They had no access to the outside and they spent the better part of the evening loudly yelping and scratching my door disrupting my entire household.  The guest returned to blame me for his dogs behaviour.  It was a nightmare.