Please help long term rent

Please help long term rent

06BB2E72-FC78-46ED-9CED-C3FB7C6C784D.jpeg

Hi I’m Robert. I recently found an apartment in Rastatt, Germany. I found it on an app designed for rentals so I contacted the owner. After a short time she contacted me through mail that she is in UK and she gave me details etc saying we will go through airbnb.She explained to me that she will contact airbnb with my details and then make the reservation on a link that she sent me. I entered the link and there s the apartment on airbnb site.there i am asked to set the date i’m moving in an which period. Since i wanna stay for at least 3 years she said I must pay 1000€ insurance or i don t know how it is called but here is called “kaution” and 499€ for the first month.total of 1499€.I don’t know if it is real or a scam and I really need your help! There on the page she sent me it says that I transfer the money through bank-to-bank and after 1-2 bussiness days that takes to arrive the money, airbnb will contact me to meet with the keys and contract of the appartment. When I clicked to book it it shows that I got 24h to transfer the money berore it cancels. What should I do?On the page i got the bank details with a name of someone Javier and below the details it says that the name is different for every transaction to indentified faster.
Help please I have 10 hours

I attached the emails I got

6A6EAB1C-1098-40E9-9126-7AB925E67D92.jpeg

13 Replies 13
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Robert5286  This is a well-known scam.  The description of how to proceed is not how Airbnb works at all.  I suggest you stop communicating with this person immediately.

Thanks for the reply! 
But how do they make scan that legit on the airbnb site. you even get a receipt and everything there. But  have a look at the reviews also, they seem too good.

F28B8054-F62E-4DB2-81A5-7F16F605528C.jpeg

18847AA6-A7A5-462A-BE0E-B5A482887CB5.jpeg

@Robert5286 

Remember that scammers:

• try to gain trust by claiming to be from a well-known business or impersonating a known contact
  • will suggest their own verification procedures, like going to websites they have created or calling numbers they provide to you
  • know how to appeal to your emotions and press your buttons to get what they want. e.g.I am sorry  for the late reply.
  • create a sense of urgency to get you to make decisions without thinking.

It’s easier to spot a scam if you know what to look for. Remember to be careful if someone:

• you don’t know contacts you out of the blue
  • you’ve never met in person asks for money
  • asks you to pay for something or to give them money through unusual payment methods such as gift cards, wire transfers or cryptocurrencies
  • asks you to pay for something in advance — especially through an unusual payment method
  • asks you for personal information, like your bank details or passwords, or access to your computer
  • pressures you into buying something or making a decision quickly
  • offers you something that sounds too good to be true — like an online shopping deal, a prize for winning a competition, an unclaimed inheritance or an invitation to invest in an ‘amazing’ scheme.

@Robert5286  I don't know how they do it, but look at the URL.  A legitimate Airbnb URL would read airbnb.com/rooms/[NUMBER].  Theirs is something like airbnb-com-roomNUMBER-reservation.com - not legitimate at all.

More info at these other posts:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/RENTAL-SCAM-LONG-TERM-LET-quot-GEORGE-quot/td-p/682034

Etc.  You can search this forum and find more.  Glad your spidey sense worked!

@Robert5286 

It is possible to purchase (from the dark side ) a look-a-like airbnb website with limited functionality.

That's how you can get fooled, certainly if you are only a casual site user, it's hard to spot.

The big giveaway is always in the url.

See more about this here;

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Beware-of-fake-Airbnb-websites-scam/td-p/731410

Once you stand back from it all, if you were going to book an airbnb advertised property it's best to go to the official site and expect to see the listing there.

Plus the  mechanics of the scam rational is simple. 

Bait is dangled - great property, ace price.

Plausible story - something along the lines of owner stays abroad.

Credibility - airbnb has nothing to do with it all and only mentioned for validity.

At the end of it, you are asked to wire substantial money to a stranger, which will be lost and probably you will be asked for more.

Thankfully, deep down you had some idea this scheme didn't pass the sniff test.

If you have the inclination, you have the scammers banking details , notify the bank to disrupt their operations.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Robert5286 

It a Scams!

1. Always make payments through Airbnb and never respond to any requests to transfer money via bank transfer,
  2. Booking through Airbnb platform.
  3. Airbnb covers the host protection insurance policy                                                                                                    

How to book a place on Airbnb?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/380/how-do-i-book-a-place-on-airbnb

Tutorial

https://youtu.be/gOqRiXDGNCc

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Robert5286 As you are looking for an accomodation in Rastatt Germany, perhaps you can understand the German FAQ about the well-known fake-scam:

https://www.happy-hosting.de/airbnb-fake/

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The scam is simple @Robert5286 

You pay them off Airbnb directly into their account (they clearly have directed you to a scam site) - they keep the money and disappear.

Thank you all for helping! I will look for another rent. The only thing is that I sent her a photo of my id card. But I stopped when I was about to send the money.. 

@Robert5286 

It would be best if you looked through the monthly stay in the Airbnb app.

Find a unique place with the localhost.

The best selection of private room, studio, entries apartment in Airbnb Germany.

You can inquire any questions to the host about the housing you're interested in. Go through the detail of the listing, cancelation policy, and the house rules before the payment or prior to the booking.

www.Airbnb.com/germany

Airbnb is a Trust and Safety platformAirbnb is a Trust and Safety platform

@Robert5286  I'm glad to see you didn't lose money in this scam. Do stay alert to the potential for fraudulent uses of your ID, but most of the time these people are just out for fast money.

Here's an article on how to verify the authenticity of an Airbnb link or email: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/

Genuine hosts don't tend to post listings elsewhere and then ask you to book through the Airbnb - they expect their guests to have found the listing through a normal search at the airbnb homepage or app.

. Additionally, Airbnb is not the platform of choice for landlords providing long-term or permanent housing, because it's designed for short stays. The legal protections that exist for you as a tenant with a rental contract in Germany do not apply to an Airbnb stay. If you're not a German speaker, here is a useful guide in English with links to all the legit sites for housing searches (notably, Airbnb is not on the list):  https://www.studying-in-germany.org/renting-in-germany/

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert5286  

Hosts don't give guests' details to Airbnb and make a reservation for guests on Airbnb. Guests do that themselves.

Airbnb doesn't have agents who meet you with keys and show you the place.

You never send money when you book an Airbnb. Airbnb charges the credit card or payment method you have on file with them.

Airbnb hosts don't ask you to send copies of your passport, ask for your home address, or any other personal information. Some hosts will ask for some form of ID to see, usually when you arrive. Some countries do require hosts to register guests with the local authorities but you would only be asked for this ID information after you have a confirmed booking.

Phone numbers and email addresses of hosts and guests are blocked on the Airbnb site until after a booking is confirmed.

No one rents a place out for 3 years on Airbnb.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I don't know where you live, but in the US we say that you just "dodged a bullet".  How you knew to come to this community forum and receive EXCELLENT advice, I don't know.  Linda