Possible Scam?

Chris1976
Level 1
Blunsdon Saint Andrew, United Kingdom

Possible Scam?

Hi there, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I had a guest contact me recently. His profile is brand new, no reviews. It says he lives in Romania, but he claims to actually live very close to me. He kept trying to give me his phone number, and wanted to meet to discuss the details of the booking. I said I'd prefer to communicate through the app, and it transpired he was booking for his parents. I told him I couldn't accept a 3rd party booking as I wouldn't be insured, and assumed that was the last I'd hear from him.

I have now been contacted by someone claiming to be his mother, looking to book the same dates. 

The whole situation seems very suspicious to me, or am I just over reacting!?

Has anyone come across a similar situation, or even fallen foul of an air BnB scam?

Thanks,

Chris

7 Replies 7
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Chris1976 it isn't suspicious in my opinion, people try to make third-party bookings all the time and they are trying to get your info to avoid paying the Airbnb fee. You can just decline them if you feel uncomfortable. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the mother is contacting you using her own profile then that sounds fine. If she meets your requirements then there is no reason not to accept her booking. @Chris1976 

Chris1976
Level 1
Blunsdon Saint Andrew, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies. I've just looked at the mum's profile, and it says she lives in the same village that I do! I'm still getting the feeling that something very fishy is going on here @Helen3 @Ana1136 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Chris1976 in that case don't accept her booking. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did she say when you asked her why she wanted to stay with you when she already lived in her village @Chris1976  only you can make a judgement about this as you have information which we are not party to.

Renée16
Level 2
Charlottetown, Canada

could be fishy, more likely a noob trying to get around airbnb... I get these here and there, no big deal. Just do as you did and make them make a legitimate booking under correct profile.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris1976 It sounds very dodgy to me.  As you know 3rd  party bookings are not allowed and that has been covered by other community members above, but there is also an unwritten rule that one should not rent to locals.  I would not proceed with such a booking.