Possible? What am I missing?

S-A1
Level 2
Ladysmith, Canada

Possible? What am I missing?

Have only used airbnb once before, but looking to possibly use in Europe.
1A. Am not interested in looking at “300+” listings (even in what I consider zooming in on a particular section of the map), when it IDEALLY should be possible to narrow down selection (I have already input some requirements/filters), so is there any way to do this & get a better list + map display that is more appropriate to me?
1B. Why not able to view places in order of price, or ratings (as other hotels & booking sites do, sometimes showing the same properties as airbnb)?  So that begs an added question—how is it decided whose listing shows up on top vs at the end?
2. Why not able to see actual ratings from the reviewers, e.g. 8/10, 9.5/10 etc (& even better would be to have specific aspects rated individually, such as “cleanliness”, “wifi”, “comfort” etc), instead of having to read every word to glean any possible negatives?

So in summary, I don't feel airbnb is very user friendly & is quite time-consuming, or maybe I'm missing something!

Help please!

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As a guest, you should convey your thoughts on their absurd web programming to them via the feedback form found on their webpage. Hosts agree with your comments and sympathize with your frustration, but we can't do anything about it. Airbnb needs to know that guests are not pleased with the site. They don't listen to hosts.

Hello Sarah...thanks for your comment.  I did just post under "Feedback", thanks (& then had trouble finding my way back here again...it's obvious I'm not very familiar all around with this site!!), but I have a feeling I will not hear back.  So, I'm not "missing" a step, but that is the only way to view?  That surprises me.

@S-A1  No, you don't get a response from feedback forms, but they apparently do read them and note which issues they get a lot of noise on. Thanks for sending them feedback. Many small hosts are very frustrated that guests have such a hard time finding their cozy, but simple offerings.

Thanks, Sarah, & I assume you will be able to see my response to Pete below as well.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I would start with desired dates (these vastly impact price and availability), then location (strangely hidden under the map pin at the bottom of the screen, even though arguably it is the second most important filter) and then dial down price to manageable subset using the top price slider under filter.

i typically then use the map to look at properties, remembering that unless it is a city with good transport the further out you go the more it costs to get around via uber, train, bus etc and the more time it takes. 

Also look at hotels to get an idea of upper price - sad to say many Airbnb places are actually more expensive than an ok hotel (yes I know kitchen etc, but still the idea is to save money). If you are staying for a short period then kitchen less important etc.

i would also book in advance as much as possible - by default Airbnb auto price tends to generate very low prices as dates open up. Also as availability drops prices go up - particularly at weekends which will always command a premium. Best to travel sun- wed.

This is also how I decide how much to charge a night 🙂

Thanks for your response, Pete, but it hasn't helped me much...sorry!

I did input dates, 2 guests, entire home, price range, checked "wifi", & narrowed in on the map to a neighbourhood (unfortunately, or laughably, the neighbourhood shape is not the shape of the box, so of course I get more...it would be another helpful option to be able to specify a neighbourhood, of course only if someone is well versed enough to know that, but is easy to see on any map or website; hey, I'm rambling!).  Anyway, I still got 290 possibilities, but unable to SORT or PRIORITIZE, which I guess is my main complaint about the process!

Have already (always 1st choice) checked out hotels & "booking" sites, but looking for what I thought might be more or better options, I guess.

Just dial down the price - to say $80 a night, then take a look at what that gives you, then increase it gradually. The aim of the game is to find something well priced so you have more money to have fun !

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I don't use smart pricing and don't change my prices ever- holidays, seasonal, weekends, nothing. Always the same. Simpler for me, simpler for guests.

Completely up to you. Date and season vary demand, which impacts price. I'm trying to survive economically and have fixed costs. But I typically charge in the bottom 5% for any given night.

Smart pricing is an utter disaster. My favourite was when it sold New Year's Eve for about 50% less than even the dorm place up the hill. Wonderful implementation. 

@Pete28  I wasn't suggesting that all hosts do this, sorry if it sounded like that. Was just saying that not all listings vary in price throughout the week or season.

I also believe that varying price improves your search ranking - even if you just move it up and down 🙂 at some point I will give up and just buy a pricing service like ever book or whatever.

You certainly can't trust smart pricing - this thread just reminded me to check later in the summer, and as ever it is offering every night at the minimum price I specify. Hopeless. As I mention above, some guests have learnt of its weakness and wait for dates to open up then book while the price is automated low 😞

@Pete28  The price tips I get say i should charge less than a 4 bed hostel room with a shared bathroom for my private bedroom with ensuite bath and use of my kitchen. I shudder to think what smart pricing would do.

This is interesting to me about pricing, not knowing any of it, that prices can vary...or not, & be automated!  I guess I just figured host sets a price & that's it.  I do find it interesting that some places (this is probably more in Europe?) add in a "cleaning" fee whereas others do not.

Thanks again for input about my beef!