Possible to cancel within 24 hours of a strict cancelation policy?

Alon2
Level 1
New York, NY

Possible to cancel within 24 hours of a strict cancelation policy?

Hi All 

I wanted to cancel a reservation that has a strict policy. Is it possible to do so within the first 24 hours?

34 Replies 34
Deter0
Level 1
Quincy, MA

We can cancel flight reservations with in 24 hours of booking for no fee and travel date is 7 days in future -- This is a government rule.

Why can't we have such thing with Airbnb? This S*U*C*K*S.

Kia7
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

A government aviation rule.

I'm finding myself in a similar boat. I canceled within 12 hours of booking, with an owner (who has a "Strict" policy), for dates that are months away in August. The booking was a human error-- I was tired, I booked hastily, and then had second thoughts. 

Now she's got about $250 of my money, which is hers by right because airbnb allows the "Strict" policy. All I can do is ask nicely, that she please make an exception and return it. 

The airline policy that requires airlines to issue a full refund for a 24-hour cancellation is actually federally mandated. Airbnb might consider such a policy in lieu of the "Strict"-and-up policies, so that there is room for human error in this process. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Seetha0 airbnb is testing a new "strict" policy, mine has a 48hr grace period where cancellations are refunded in full. I think in future airbnb will make this compulsory.

cancellation_policies#strict-with-grace-period

It's possible they are testing it an option called "Strict (WIth Grace Period), which I saw under my own listing. But the host still gets to choose the policy. Mine chose "Strict" (no grace period caveat). 

@Seetha0   As of May 1st, all strict policies have a mandatory 48 hours free cancellation IF the reservation date is more than 14 days away. If you booked befoe May 1st the old strict policy applies as far as I am aware.  The policy for the listing is clearly stated on the front page and is linked to the legal terms and parameters governing it.

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Seetha .. Yes I totally agree. If your booking is in August and they rebook the place which they probably will .. They're basically stealing your money. Not right at all. Shouldn't be allowed. But as consumers we should start to avoid bookings with the Strict and above policy as it's not showing any goodwill or compromise. Circumstances in life change so easily and its very unfair. I hadn't realized such a thing existed so didn't really scrutinize it before I pressed the red button. 

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I made a booking today and cancelled within half an hour (booking for 2 weeks time) and only got a 50% refund. I'm surprised it's legal as it seems very unreasonable. Have requested host to consider a full refund  Otherwise they have made £100 from me in half an hour and will book the place again. Doesn't seem right to me. 

@Sandy219 what was the cancellation policy of the listing you booked with?

As of May 1, now even Strict Cancellation policy listings should have a 48-hour grace period.

@Matthew285   The strict does have a mandatory 48 hour grace period as of May 1st,  BUT it only applies IF the reservation is more than 14 days from date of booking.

It now appears on all of the 'strict' policy listings that I have seen, it is front and center on the listings opening page with links to legal terms and parameters governing the policy.

@Ange2 thank you for the clarification!

I am not so familiar with how the Strict cancellation policies work, as we have always been on Flexible.

@Matthew285   It caused quite a stir because many hosts chose 'strict policy' because they are in situations where it is not easy or simple to re-book their listings and they end up losing not only revenue and in some cases costs for preparation etc., but also control over their listings and the ability to plan and organize.

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Aha .. Thanks for clarifying. I will be more careful in future. Definitely won't book any accommodation under these conditions as it just seems unreasonable. I totally understand the host needing clarity and reliability etc but canceling within half an hour it feels like I've been robbed of my money for nothing. Perhaps a 24 hour period should be allowed as a compromise all round. Something not right with this system. 

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Mathew... It was Strict but I haven't come across this category before so I was quite alarmed when plans changed and I got back to them so quickly only to find once you've pressed the button that's it. I would have thought there's always a period of grace. I have requested politely that the owner give me a full refund but have had no reply. Any advice? 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Sandy219 I have a strict policy for the reason @Ange2 stated. My place is an entire house that holds up to 12 and it is harder to re-book if a booking has kept it off market until a month, 2 weeks or shorter when canceled. If I can re-book I willingly refund any money I have been able to recover, but I do not advertise this on my listing because more times than not a large place will not be booked in the short time frame. Large groups traveling plan well in advance.