Postage

Tony1007
Level 1
United Kingdom

Postage

Hi 

recently a guest staying bridging a gap prior to moving to their new home. Had their utility bills forwarded to my address. 

What is the position on this and are there any implications. Ie if they don’t settle utilities bills from their home. 
thanks 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I don't accept guests having their mail delivered to my home or deliveries. @Tony1007 

There is too much risk of fraud, them using your address for illegal activities, or it affecting the hosts credit.

In your situation there could be a risk if they don't settle their utility bills that it might affect your credit

Credit scores are attached to individuals and not linked to an address.

I've had tenants who used my address (whilst between moves) for forwarding their utility bills. Should you receive chasing letters on your tenant's behalf, simply contact the utility provider and instruct them to remove your address details from their system - this is your right under GDPR. Do not give the utility provider your name - not your bill and therefore not relevant. It is up to the utility provider to track their customer at their current address. 

These bills/debts are not yours and you cannot be pursued for them