Price tips vs smart pricing

Helene154
Level 1
Halifax, Canada

Price tips vs smart pricing

Hi everyone. I’m new to hosting and we decided to list our property a few months before we are ready to host in hopes of getting early bookings. We are hoping to list for $99 a night. An alert suggestion has told us we will unlikely get bookings because we are priced too high and they suggest a price tip of $65. However, when I tried smart pricing it lists our place at $108. So Im trying to understand why it says we are too high if they themselves price it even higher with smart pricing? Could the $65 be for now in April? Shouldn’t it account that our availability isn’t until June? We really want to be appealing but taking that suggestion wouldn’t make hosting worth it really, any insights about this discrepancy? Thank You!

2 Replies 2

I'm new to Air BnB but not new to vacation rentals.  If you want to know how to price your listing look at your competitors and price accordingly.  I never take advice regarding pricing from an entity that knows nothing of my competition, my area, etc.  Could it be that the $65 is in USD rather than CAD?  Either way, ignore it and price based on what other comparable listings in your area are pricing.  

Thanks Laura, yes thats pretty much what I'm trying to do. It's hard in my area because the prices are all over the map.