Question about guest kids and also about host safety

Question about guest kids and also about host safety

I am brand new and don't even have a reservation from anyone yet. I have a listing where 1 or 2 people can use my guestroom while I am also in the home and another listing that gives up to 4 people access to entire home. In both cases, I wonder if I can or should put age requirements regarding children. The space has a lot of furniture - so not a lot of space to run around in, as little children are prone to do - and there are bookcases with knick-knacks, etc. that a small child could easily knock into. Thoughts on this ?

Also, I am a single female and a little nervous about sharing space with strangers. Thoughts on this by others in my situation would be most appreciated.

7 Replies 7
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Margaret2.  If you are at all worried about kids, I would just put that there are no kids allowed.  I have a 5 and 6 year old and they do not seem to care if something gets broken.  If it is a concern, just say no.

About strangers.  Most if not all of your guests will be strangers to you.  You will need to ask lots of questions and ensure that you have guests stay with you that you are comfortable with.  

Cheers

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

After hosting 2 families with small children, I have revised my listing to say the place is not suitable for small children.  They are messy, leave fingerprints everywhere and are sloppy with food on furniture.  I don't specify an age...I'll let guests ask. 

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi @Margaret,
I accept kids in my seaside home during Summer when they get tired on the beach. I just hang the artwork higher, remove cables and carpets and provide some toys. That works usually well. During the rest of the year and in town I would not accept small kids any more.
As for strangers, that works surprisingly well even in a very small apartment, if you select them after communicating with them, having clear simple rules and repeat them at check-in over a first drink (mostly water)
Magda2
Level 2
Milan, Italy

hi Margaret,

I'm a single, too, and as I'm in the home with my guests I've restricted my hospitality to females, even if this reduces my income chances.As I prefer long term hospitality ( more than one month) having a girl at home is easier than hosting a guy.

I live with two cats, therefore neither children (you know what might happens with children playing hard with cats!!!) or animals are allowed

cheers

Magda, Milan Italy

Jim1
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Magda2,

Nice to see you're an active international member! 🙂

Would you like to join the Italian Community as well? We'd love to hear your voice!

Please, come say hi by clicking this link.

Hope you'll be in touch soon.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Hi Margaret

One of the dilemmas that we have as hosts, which many hosts may not fully appreciate, is that when we are offering accomodations in the US (and elsewhere) we are limited in what we can say in our advertising by the Federal Fair Housing Act.  The Fair Housing Act states that:

"The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children."

What most people don't understand about the Fair Housing Act, is that even though most people who are renting out a room in the home they live in are exempt from this law in the sense that they are permitted to discriminate on any basis, in terms of their selection of renters, the law still applies to everyone in that it does not allow discriminatory STATEMENTS in any advertising.  THis meaning and this aspect of the law is not really captured in  Airbnb's Help Page  on the subject, but if you look at  Craigslist FAQ on the subject you will see the info presented clearly there.  

Hence,  in order not to run afoul of the FHA requirements, hosts should avoid stating in their listings that they don't permit guests to bring children.  Your state may also have laws against age discrimination which may mean you should not state in your listing that you don't accept children (or adults!) under such and such an age.  

As far as I understand the law, hosts can privately decide not to rent to children, or to not rent to anyone under a certain age, but  just can't state this in their advertising.  Which is disappointing and frustrating for many, as doubtless this leads to wasted time and energy when you get inquiries from those who are not a good fit for your place.  But, so many in the USA are litigious, and there are some who probably make their living trolling through housing ads trying to find people whom they can sue,  based on a few words that apparently seriously injured them (rolling eyes).  Hence it pays to be cautious.  

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Forgot to say @Margaret2 in my response so you could know there's a new response...