Quoting from messages

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

Quoting from messages

When writing a review of a guest, are you allowed to include quotes from their messages to you?

11 Replies 11
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Bob39 You can write anything you want just so long as they don't violate Airbnb's review guidelines: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/262/what-are-airbnb-s-review-guidelines

I'm not sure where you are going with this question, but I'd be careful. 

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to use a couple of quotes from the guest to illustrate the difference between what she said and what she actually did while on the property. (The booking was for 5 and she allowed about 20 people to enter the house, though she claimed they did not stay all night.) I guess showing the contrast between her statements and her actions could reflect on her character, and that could be interpreted as defamatory, so I guess it would not be allowed.

@Bob39 Well, I'd just stick to what you know to be a fact.  Short, factual reviews are the best.  Remember that your review of the guest is not intended to be a conversation or argument between you and the guest but rather an indication of what kind of guest they are so the next host can make an informed decision on whether to host them or not.  If this guest wanted to book with me, what would you want me to know (in 3 sentences or less)?

Thank you for your reply.

I would want you to know that she booked the house for 5 guests, but 3 hours after check-in, had approximately 20 people inside and outside the house, to "have dinner," and that she had never given me any clue that she was going to do that.

I would want you to know that the house required more cleanup than any other guest required, including repainting of the fron porch and replacing a broken chair.

And I would want you to know that she rejected my request for $67 to cover these damages.

If they are going to use ABB again no doubt they will do so with a new profile so I would not waste too much time on the issue.

David

OK thank you.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Bob39

The violations to your rules and the basis on which she booked can be formulated in a few succinct sentences.

Long explanatory novels as reviews tend to reflect unprofessionality or a petty side of the host.

Did she exceed the no. of guests booked or are even allowed in your rental by at least 4 times? say that.

Did you have extensively more clean up than usual as well as some repairs after the large party stayed? say that.

Any future host reading those short sentences will know exactly what was going on.

By the way, if they did that, wouldn't AirBnB recognize them if they tried to verify a new account? Do they keep track of phone numbers or email addresses, so if the guest deleted their account and started a new one and tried to verify it, Airbnb would recognize the phone number or email address and not allow it?

@Bob39 Yes, Airbnb would pick up right away if a guest tries to create a new or second account.  Airbnb is now requiring Verified ID of new users which requires some form of government issued ID like a passport or Driver's License. 

@Bob39 That would be a good review.  I would only not comment on the reimbursement for extra clean up as it could be considered a comment on a Resolution Center investigation which is not permitted.   I think you've gotten the hang of it now!

I probably would decline any request from these people!  Clare

OK thank you.