Racist guest

Answered!
Tyson11
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Racist guest

I have 3 days left to review a racist guest.  They left me a review that I know is bad.  She left all huffy and said she didn't appreciate the housekeeper "going up the stairs at 9:32" -- (The stairs are outside the listing.  Nobody so much as knocked.  There was literally no real disturbance.) -- i.e. the housekeeper walked up the stairs half an hour before check-out, only to put a laundry basket on the outdoor landing in front of the door.

The housekeepers later informed me that the same guest had been huffy and upset with them the previous day -- for no reason.  The housekeepers were cleaning the downstairs unit during a standard turnover -- not bothering her -- not doing anything more threatening than talking in Spanish.  But apparently this middle-aged white lady from Iowa saw that as a threat.

Unfortunately I can't prove any of this.  There's no evidence.

All I can do is write a review.  But even then, I can't prove she's a racist.  All I can do is repeat what the housekeepers told me and let people draw their own conclusions.  Does anyone have any other insights or guidance about how to handle the situation?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

@J-Renato0  well, hotels also have cleaners passing by the door, cleaning and speaking (maybe even Spanish) so I would say this guest is " Better suited to stay at home"

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I would say something that is very useful for this type of guest and situation -  "Better suited for a hotel stay".

@J-Renato0  well, hotels also have cleaners passing by the door, cleaning and speaking (maybe even Spanish) so I would say this guest is " Better suited to stay at home"

Anyway, I like the answer "Better suited for a hotel stay" because hotels has a staff that are used to deal with freaks, neurotics, racists and whatsoever.  🙂 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Yes, you are right ! 🙂

Even 5 five star hotels has usually a multicultural staff !

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tyson11   It's possible your guest felt the goings on around her was an invasion of her privacy because she hadn't anticipated a lot of people going and coming around the unit.  I would probably refrain from making any inferences on her reasoning in a review.  You don't say if she was a problematic guest in any other ways, but I wouldn't get into too many details, maybe say that the guest appeared to require an inordinate amount of privacy and was bothered by the presence of housekeepers cleaning adjacent units, something like that.  Or, don't mention it all, since you don't want to give the impression that there is an army of housekeepers trooping around the place making noise and disturbing guests. 

Thanks, Mark!  I think you've hit the nail on the head here.  She did mention something else about privacy.  (It was something ridiculous about there being "no privacy between the bedroom and bathroom" (despite there being two fully-functional doors between the two)).  I will focus on her unreasonable expectations around privacy.  Thanks again!!