Ramifications of guests breaking house rules

Lucy84
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Ramifications of guests breaking house rules

A guest threw a party. Our house rules explicitly state that parties are not allowed. Damage was done to my house. There was vomit, blood, mud, trash, and alcohol soaked gummies everywhere. The carpet was ruined. Our neighbors called the cops three separate times. 

This guest had told me he and three of his family members were renting it for a family reunion.

As the guest has openly lied, and the cops had to be called to shut the party down (I asked them to but they didn't stop it), will the guest be able to use AirBnB again? Or will I just have to leave a review regarding the incident?

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You need to leave a review, and advise AirBnB what happened.

Hopefully they will delete the account.

There does not seem much to stop someone setting up a new account. Or somebody else in the 'party' booking next time.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What an awful experience that your guests do this to you and refused your request to stop the party. Did you get them to leave straight away when the police arrived?

Presuming you contacted BNB and the police when your guests refused to stop their party and reported the damage, the next step is to provide BNB with evidence (including your police report)  to process your claim.

BNB do delete accounts of host and guests who behave badly. In the meantime leave them an honest review.

I would also do a handwritten note of apology and a gift to your neighbours who were disturbed by your guests party.

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Lucy84, I'm sorry this happened. What rotten luck.

Since you rent out an entire house, I'd crank up your security deposit to $500 or so.

I'd also contact the neighbors surrounding that house and explain that this group misrepresented their intent and you'll be watching future bookings closely. Angry neighbors could be a real problem if they start to complain to the city.

You might also give your neighbors your cell phone number in case this happens again so they can contact you directly. That way you can show up at the house in person and put a stop to any disturbances.

Good luck, and hoping the new year brings fewer incidents like this.

Carl and Diane