Re: What happens when the host cancels a booking

Richard152
Level 4
Bath, United Kingdom

Re: What happens when the host cancels a booking

Hi,

I'm new to hosting on AirBnB and have yet to receive my first guests.

A different guest wanted to reserve the whole Christmas week and my son pressed 'ACCEPT' without checking with me. When I looked at the booking, I could see that the prices quoted in AirBnB were rockbottom and totally wrong! So, after speaking with the booking guest, I cancelled the booking, while I looked into what had happened. Then the guest informed me that it was not this year's Christmas week, but the Christmas week for 2017!

Now I'm told that 'To avoid future cancellations these dates have been blocked'. What does this mean? Blocked forever? For a few days?

I have now re-entered the right prices, but I can neither take another booking for this period, nor re-invite the original guest to book again!

It all sounds very strange and mysterious.

Does anyone know what happens when the host cancels a booking?

Many thanks,

Richard

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Richard152  You have posted your issue in the middle of another discussion thread.  Perhaps you can re post.  Meanwhile you should read the Air BNB Help Center articles about cancellation.  

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

You can never cancel without the dates being blocked.  If you accidently accept a booking with the wrong dates, wrong price or whatever, you will have to honor it.  If you feel unsafe with the guest you can call AirBnb and have THEM cancel it and your dates will not be blocked. 

They won't let you just cancel without penalty for reasons such as "made a mistake" , they only cancel without penalty for safety reasons or extenuating circumstances such as death in family, illness, plumbing not working, electrical outage,  earthquakes, riots, war.

If you cancel  without an extenuating circumstance you will also be penalized - Airbnb will charge you a cancellation fee.  They don't want hosts cancelling.  Especially after accepting a reservation at a lower price, they don't want you cancelling and asking for more money.   That's a bait and switch and is unethical.  They expect you to honor your commitment to the guest.  The fact that the price was wrong is not the guest's fault.  The guest booked at the price they saw, not at some imaginary price you expected would be in place.

If you have to cancel for safety or  a crisis and don't have time to call Airbnb you can cancel yourself and try to talk to them later and see what they will do about it but it is better to contact them first if at all possible.

You might be able to persuade them to unblock the dates because you are so new, your son accepted without your permission, the dates are so far away and you are willing to accept the original guest's reservation.  You could call them.

Never never cancel.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Richard152 You can try contacting Airbnb, explain you're new & didn't realize, and they may unblock those dates for you. I think you have a good chance of success but if not, it's a lesson learned the hard way. I think we've all had at least one of those. Spend as much time as you can reading the articles in the Help section, the Community Guides and the questions asked here to avoid future pitfalls. There's a lot to learn for new hosts! 

Just as a suggestion, you may want to shorten your availability calendar so you don't get requests a year out. You can do that by going to your calendar >>Availability Settings>>Reservation Preferences>>Booking Window. 

Best of luck with your listing! Karen

Many thanks, Karen!