Recent Bad News in AZ

Recent Bad News in AZ

We've had two major news events in Arizona recently involving Airbnb rentals. In the first event a home rented under a false name was vandalized and burglarized during a party. In the second event this past weekend a man was killed during a party at an Airbnb home.

Two years ago Arizona passed a state law allowing short term rentals and stating that municipalities could not regulate them. This year the law is changing, regulations are forthcoming and the number one reason is due to out of control parties.

Owners need to be responsible to keep tabs on their properties and take action when necessary. If the owners are not going to be present then they should have co-hosts, nosey neighbors and/or exterior cameras. All of us need to be responsible owners or we are all going to lose. Short term renting is a great business, but a handful of irresponsible hosts are ruining it for us.

https://www.azfamily.com/video/caught-on-camera-airbnb-in-tempe-trashed-due-to-party/video_aabdf8bf-...

https://www.azfamily.com/news/pd-man-dead-following-shooting-at-chandler-airbnb-house-party/article_...

https://www.azfamily.com/video/airbnb-neighbors-speak-out-on-deadly-airbnb-house-party-shooting/vide...

7 Replies 7
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Tim-and-Holly0 What the hosts can do is very limited. Airbnb should take a decisive measure to put a screening system for guests who can book through Airbnb. In addition, all parties should be forbidden in Airbnb properties which are in residential areas. 

Otherwise, more and more cities will start to either prohibit or restrict Airbnb rentals. Especially those Airbnb competitors such as those big hotel chains in hispitality industry, they will use these incidents as evidence to accuse Airbnb. 

@Mike1034:
Ultimately it is the host's private business and therefore, the host is responsible to make sure their property is under control, just as if it were a long term rental. Airbnb can put a thousand rules into play (like no parties, which is a rule at all of my homes) but if the OWNERS do not enforce them then it is a mute point. OWNERS are responsible and need to take responsibility.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Tim-and-Holly0 I am not sure if you have read the post thread below

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-allowed-review-from-guest-who-stole-threatened-me-an...

This is what I meant what hosts could do is very limited. A host cannot do much to screen a guest because Airbnb provides essentially only a first name when a booking request comes. 

Probably you have a much better way to control your property than other hosts.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree with @Mike1034

Owners have their hands tied, they are forced to accept instant bookings, they can't see the guest picture before booking, they are punished for cancelations, they are not paid if they protect their properties, their community or themselves and kick the guest out , they can't remove bad rating and retaliatory reviews , they can't charge the guest for damages over few hundreds $ ...

Private houses and apartments are not the same as a hotel. There is no doormen, receptionist, 24/7 security guard at the front door and hotel staff who are monitoring the guests so Airbnb should do the homework up front:

1. have actual security deposit
  2. verify profile pictures and ID
  3. don't allow changing the name and profile picture after registration
  4. make profile pictures and other guest's info visible before booking
  5. not refund guests who break house rules or make damages and are kicked out
  6. not prioritize instant booking listings
  7. immediately unlist every problematic guest forever
  8. not blindly side with a guest

The way it is now, Airbnb hurts not only hosts and itself, but the whole short term rental industry and it's getting worse every day.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Tim-and-Holly0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Mike1034 

Find out how many complaints have been made to your local council for noise control issues. ask for a breakdown of how many are for places that are used for ABB & how many for those who own their own home & those who are living in other rental properties.

I think you find find that things are very imbalanced and that those who use ABB are in the minority of complaints.

Ditto ask your Police the same style of questions re crime.

All the Best

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Helen427  Stats sometimes don’t mean anything and have been used by some companies to provide excuse in order to hide or not to solve issues. One example is Boeing 737 Max. With stats, Boeing’s accidents are much less than car accidents and the victims due to Boeing airplane crash are much less than car crash. Does it mean that Boeing can continue to sell its 737 Max without correcting their issues?

What @Branka-and-Silvia0 listed are true issues which exist and could be taken care of by Airbnb. Our hosts property and safety are at risk if Airbnb does not put a guest screening system in place.

Ms-J0
Level 2
Georgia, United States

3 weeks ago my home was burglarized by a reportedly "verified" guest ( who by the way, rented for 7 days). And in 7 days they took everything that wasn't locked down (except furniture). All the electronics, linens (yes LINENS), all the bath towels, extra comforters/sheet sets, air beds etc. The guest "falsified" all reservation info ( name, location, ph# and email address) so I'm not feeling confident in the verification process at all. I'll rest my final judgement on the handling of my claim.