Reconnecting with your ex-guest

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Reconnecting with your ex-guest

Hello everyone! 

When was the last time you reconnect with your previous guests whom you got along very well? We're caught up with so many things around us but now, it's a good time to do with most of us staying home. Be it just a message or a comment on their picture on social media, I am sure it's going to make their day! 

Today, I heard a great piece of news from a guest I hosted in 2016. I was in the midst of writing her story in my book (will keep you guys posted!). I went on to look for her contact in my 'WeChat' but I thought I wouldn't be able to find her as her name would be in Chinese character (I can't read Chinese). But I just went thru my whole contact list and I FOUND HER! I went to her 'moments' and saw newly uploaded pictures in Singapore! I quickly messaged her and she told me she is now MARRIED and staying here. 

4 years ago, Singapore was her first solo overseas trip. I guided her with my broken Chinese, introduced her to my friend to bring around when she visited my hometown, Penang. She told me, Yuan I am going to learn English so I can communicate with you and your friend. So, she went back to Beijing and learned English. Within 3 months, she texted me a full sentence in English. I was very impressed by her strong-willed! A few months later, she told me she got a job in Singapore and also to attend an English school here. We then lost touch as I don't use much WeChat. 

I am very happy she found her own happiness because she had a tough childhood, nobody to rely on. Now, she is no longer alone. 

*We're planning on to catch up with each other face to face next week! I look forward to it* 

You will be surprised that your presence as a host would have such a significant impact on other people's lives. I look forward to hearing your stories. 

Yuan 

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yuan100 

I keep in contact with several former guests, albeit sporadically. Some have even returned and stayed with me as friends, i.e. non paying, rather than guests. I did check up on several of them after the pandemic started and it was reassuring to hear that they were safe. I wish I had time to contact all of the nice guests who have stayed, but there have been hundreds of them, so that would be quite the mission!

@Huma0 For me, social media helps a lot to stay connected and I don't have all of the former guest's social media either. So I just stay in touch with some whom I am close to every other month, some like a yearly thing, during their birthday or mine. 

It's nice you're having great guests and returned to you as friends 😄

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yuan100 

There are a few guests I stay in touch with via social media, but several also via WhatsApp as that seems to be what most use to communicate these days. Messaging via the Airbnb system is not so good for keeping in touch as people don't tend to check it unless they are planning a trip.

Yes, I've had former guests come back to visit me when they are in London, but also a few who moved to London (they stayed with me while looking for a more permanent home) so we meet up occasionally. Of course, that's not been happening in the last few months, but we still message each other.

@Yuan100 

We hosted a lot of long-term stays so Henry and I usually become quite friendly with many of our guests and we still stay in touch with several. Our contact is pretty sporadic too..... maybe twice a year or so?? Usually at least once near Christmas or New Year's to exchange greetings. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0  

Ah yes! Christmas and New Years, of course. It's nice you have a lot of long-term stays! I have it most this year only and it's a blessing that they are all good quality guests. 

Hope you're keeping well there in Seoul!