Refund due to cleanliness

William-and-Teja0
Level 1
Prague, Czech Republic

Refund due to cleanliness

Hi guys,

I currently have guests staying in my listing who arrived earlier today. They called about an hour ago complaining that the place is "unlivable" and "unclean". This bothers me as we have had some very positive reviews in the past, and even though there have been some complaints about the age of the amenities, we clearly state in the description that the apartment is old. The pictures are recent and accurate (from a few weeks ago). Does this guest have grounds for complaint? I don't want to refund as I don't believe I did anything wrong - and I scrubbed the place before they arrived! Not to mention I accomodated them for early check-in and late check-out, and they were late ...

Any advice? Can this hurt my listing?

Thank you!

Teja

2 Replies 2
Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@William-and-Teja0

You may very well be in for a guest who has changed his travel plans, and now wants to get his money back claiming that your place is unlivable, not clean, etc. 

If it is a short-stay booking, and the loss of income is minimal, ask them to cancel and refund them the couple of unused nights. Such people are not worth your time and energy. If we are talking a significant loss of income, go to the flat, take pictures, and report the issue to Airbnb immediately. 

Danny

Hey @Danny9,

Thanks for the advice - that's exactly what I ended up doing - asked them to cancel and refunded partially (I didn't have to give them anything according to the refund policy, and they were extremely rude, so I wasn't too excited to give them the full ammount). They're still not happy but at least the matter is closed. This was my first experience with such a guest, and it wasn't pretty. But most of the guets are lovely people and we can't let a bad apple get us down 🙂

Teja