Refund for parking ticket?

Michael3328
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Refund for parking ticket?

Hi,

I booked a trip to NYC with supposed ‘designated parking’ however upon arrival there was none. I parked wherever I could on the street so that I can unpack my stuff from my car. When I returned to the car I saw that I had gotten a parking ticket. So i messaged my host about the situation and he did not handle it well. His facade of being a good and welcoming host shattered as he quickly became the ‘victim’ of the situation. He made it seem my fault for parking in a no park zone, and made me feel like the bad guy for even insisting the idea that he pay for the ticket. And although I should have parked elsewhere, there really was no where else to park. I was promised parking as it IS stated on his listing. Would it be possible to get a refund?

10 Replies 10
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Michael3328 and what did the host say about the unavailability of the designated parking space that he was offering? 

Hi Ana,

There was no mention about the space until I mentioned the parking ticket. He had told me that he had mentioned the parking space before (which was a lie). The entire conversation is recorded through text, obviously, so I don’t understand why he thinks he could lie. He then told me to just pay attention to the signs and park wherever I could. Now that doesn’t sound like designated parking. Also, the host has seemed to have nothing but good reviews. So I’m just confused. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Michael3328 so how did you know that he didn't have a parking space and decided to park anywhere since you say that the issue about the parking space came up after you got the ticket. You should have asked him about the availability of a parking space as soon as you arrived and maybe he could advise you on where to park. I had a similar situation, guests just paid for a full day of parking upon arrival although I mention that we have parking available and it was waiting for them. They wanted a refund on that money which they didn't get since they didn't contact me first. Anyway, it is more likely to get a partial refund of your payment if he said that he would provide a parking space for the apartment and he didn't than to ask a refund for the ticket. You can later use the money to pay the ticket. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This isn't meant to come across as smart (honest), but your illegal parking isn't down to the host. What you should have done is demanded the parking spot on arrival (or for the host to provide an alternative) if it was 100% stated in the listing. 

Hi Gordon, 

Yes I understand that. However I also feel that he should have mention that there was a space somewhere in back of the building or what not. I’m not saying that I’m right when I shouldn’t have parked where I was not allowed. But in New York City it is extremely difficult to find a place to park. He doesn’t seem willing to help me out at all. So that’s why I decided to write in and see if there was anything I can do from here.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Michael3328 if that was the case I am sorry to say but you are not right. The host did have a parking but you didn't bother to ask, he is not guilty in any way about your ticket. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Michael3328  Technically, there is "designated parking" all over the city.  Every street has signs saying where and when you can park as well as signs saying where and when you can't park.  So the host didn't lie - strictly speaking.  Now you've learned your lesson.  Welcome to New York.

Haha well I guess I can’t argue with that 😅

@Michael3328 @Ann72 And watch those signs! What is legal at 9am might not be at 2:00PM. What is legal on Tuesday might not be on Wednesday. New Yorkers without deeded parking spend a lot of time moving their cars.

Kim87
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

I had trouble with that when i first started hosting as there was only one box to check : parking or no parking and maybe paying parking? Now that there's « parking on premise » and « free street parking» options there's less confusion, but i still get some guests who expect an attached parking when they arrive.