Refund request

Ayite0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Refund request

I have a flexible cancelation policy and a guest who reserved for one night canceled the same evening. I left work to let her in at 2pm and also invited her to an event I was attending that evening, which she was excited about. When I called at 3pm she said she was at the airport and eventually said she didn't realize it would cost her $70 to get to my place. So I offerered to pick her up after my event, but just when I was heading out to the pick her up, she sent a message saying she was going to stay with some relatives and canceled the reservation. Now she wants a refund - how do the rules work in this case?

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Depends on your cancellation policy...what do you have in place?

My cancellation policy is "Flexible", which is a refund up to 24 hrs before check in...

@Ayite0, she has to cancel and will get the refund due to her. As it's past check-in time, the first night is due to you. Then it depends how fast she is with cancellation.
But never refund anything directly or more then you need to on flexible or moderat policy - on both, you bear the higher risk.
I refund a bit on strict policy But only if I can rebook And the guest is nice And I was aware of the possibility from the beginning or it's a really compelling reason. - for compassion that is, not for wanting to strangle them 😉
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

HI @Ayite0

I want to add to the other hosts @Gerry-And-Rashid0 advice by suggesting that you also read the terms and conditions of the Airbnb cancellation policy as a responsible host.  Each host can decide on which category they want whether it be 'flexible" moderate or "strict", but what is not flexible are the descriptions of each setting.  So its important to know what you chose for your listing between those 3 options.  Just as its important for that particular guests to know what her responsibility for booking a place and cancelling at the last minute.  

By the way, I use to live in that area where you are and I know there is public transportation that she couldve taken...why is her only option to take a taxi for $70 ....very odd.  Its becoming quite clear that she cancelled only bc she found a free place to stay.  Airbnb will email you and let you know what your payout is based on your cancellation policy,  

It seems you have written that you have a Flexible cancellation policy, so its pretty straightforward on her refund. good luck.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook