Refunds of taxes and fees

Betsy48
Level 2
Littleton, CO

Refunds of taxes and fees

I refunded a guest for one night of a three night stay due to the COVID pandemic. I refunded the nightly rate but not taxes and fees. Guest is now requesting taxes and fees as well. Suggestions? 

Thanks!
Betsy

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Betsy48 

Surely you will not pay taxes if the guest doesn't stay so these should be refunded

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Air BNB should refund the fees and you should refund the taxes if you collected them.  If Air BNB collected, then I do not know how they are handling that.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Betsy48 @Linda108  In some cases, my understanding is that Airbnb collects certain taxes on behalf of the host and submits them in bulk to the appropriate entity, rather than the host collecting and paying them. If this is the case, Betsy, just tell your guests that you have no control over the Airbnb service or the taxes they collect on your behalf, that those are not payments made to you, and that they will have to talk to Airbnb to ask about a refund for those. If you charge and collect the taxes yourself, then you can refund the correct amount through the resolution center.