Repeat guest not a good fit - how do I tell him?

Samantha360
Level 2
Gresham, OR

Repeat guest not a good fit - how do I tell him?

I have a guest who has stayed twice now and he just isn't a good fit for us. 

The first time, he left the pillow soaking wet. I was sure he couldn't help it and so I tried to let it go, but honestly it was gross to deal with. 

This time he booked longer - seven days! And during this time he clogged the toilet 3 times! Once my husband cleared it, once the guest cleared it himself, and now I've just gotten home after he checked out and it's clogged. 

I know those aren't huge things, but I don't get paid enough to deal with other people's poop. 

Also, he just sat around our house all day. He said he came into town to work, but just played video games in the livingroom. If I went into the living room to do anything, he would want to chat, so I had to hide out in my bedroom to get anything done. Again, not the end of the world - but not a good fit for us. 

How can I best tell him that, while he isn't a horrible person, I'd appreciate if he booked somewhere else in the future? 

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Samantha360,

The soft way: tell him the truth, bring up the issues.

The hard way: Block the guest:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Samantha360just block him , I would 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

A guest doesn't have to be a bad person to be a bad fit, for your listing or for the shared home listing.  I agree with the block him.

Amy807
Level 1
Florida, United States

Hello!! I have a boyfriend and girlfriend here...the first night I didn’t stay in the house and when I got home the next morning his daughter was sleeping on the couch. I also allow people to use fridge space and they have completely taken over so I have no space for food. They are loud and dirty. (when he comes home from work he doesn’t change and stinks) (she smokes and lays around the house all day)  I have white sheets on the bed and am sure that they are disgusting at this point  Yesterday they sat and watched TV all day...

My point....I’m sure they are “nice” people but they are not the kind of people I want in my home. I want people to be comfortable but I don’t want them to take over my house. I feel like people do not leave real reviews of their guests. Do I state the facts and underline that I’m sure they are nice people but I would prefer a more curtious guest. Or do I not leave a review and learn from the experience?? 

Also if my sheets are ruined and they leave a deposit can I make a claim? 

peopleYou are right about people not leaving real review. I know I dont. I'm a single woman and the guest knows my address. I have had a few awful guests and honestly I feel bad to not warn other hosts but at the same time I worry for my safety since the guest knows where I live. Probably nothing would happen but the anxiety I would feel would be too much.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's a shame. You can leave an honest review without being nasty. 

I am in a similar sitation to you and always leave an honest review. I think as a woman on her own I owe it to other women in my position to give them the best possible information to make a decision about whether they want to host a guest.

Please leave honest reviews as a guest and host. I stayed with a superhost and had a miserable experience with no working stove, hot water for 2 days, or internet during a business trip. I can't be the only one of hundreds of guests with those issues. 

Yes, make a claim and when they refuse to pay it and airbnb gets involved, stress that the problem is not a cleaning issue but a replacement issue. The guest who ruined my sheets with lotion agreed to allow the replacement value to be taken from his deposit, because 3 full washings with spot and grease cleaners still did not get them clean. I've dry cleaned similar damage and the sheets came back beautifully ironed with grease spots. Dry cleaning costs $14 less than the replacement cost. I now add a replacement cost to house rules, so peple know in advance. With another site, I kept getting a run-around with the same issue on a wine stained sofa. They kept saying it was a cleaning issue and said I should add a cleaning charge to my listing. I proved my damage claim, so they ultimately rellented and paid me the full security deposit which was $500 less than the re-upholstery cost. "Permanently stained" is a good phrase to use.

Lauren213
Level 2
United States

dont recommend to other hosts.