Reporting a listing

Answered!
Simon283
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

Reporting a listing

I've just moved to Dublin and this scammer almost got me.

Here is the link he is using:

airbnb.ie-booking-online.eu/booking/listing/666560/?rent+1510225803?s=eRGFZrin [link removed for safety reasons]

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

@Matthew285

The link is not an Airbnb one.

@Simon283, if you haven't already done it you should also report the link to whoever you got it from.

Just because "airbnb" is in the link doesn't make it legitimate. It has to be of the form airbnb.com or airbnb.ie for Ireland, airbnb.ca for Canada etc.

Links to particular listings are of the form airbnb.com/rooms/xxxxxxx   where xxxxx is the listing number.

Using an old laptop I went to the link provided and while it looks like an Airbnb page it behaves differently to a genuine one when you scroll down to the map and it doesn't have all the layout elements of a genuine page.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Send it to Airbnb and tell them your experience they would like to hear it from you thank you for sharing 

What was the nature of the scam attempt?

And how did you detect it?

(so that we might learn what to look out for...)

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

@Matthew285

The link is not an Airbnb one.

@Simon283, if you haven't already done it you should also report the link to whoever you got it from.

Just because "airbnb" is in the link doesn't make it legitimate. It has to be of the form airbnb.com or airbnb.ie for Ireland, airbnb.ca for Canada etc.

Links to particular listings are of the form airbnb.com/rooms/xxxxxxx   where xxxxx is the listing number.

Using an old laptop I went to the link provided and while it looks like an Airbnb page it behaves differently to a genuine one when you scroll down to the map and it doesn't have all the layout elements of a genuine page.

Steve.

@Steve143, thank you so much for the information!

I can't believe I didn't even notice the link didn't go to AirBnB!

When I was on the page itself, it looked like a regular listing.

Wow.

@Simon283, I forgot to ask: how does the scammer promote this link he is using?

How did he find you?

Do they send them out via email? Or is there some sort of fake AirBnB site out there?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Simon283 gallery is different and if your type any city in search it will give you Error 404 , page not found..