Resolution Center

Paul1743
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Resolution Center

I have repeatedly asked Airbnb for assistance in resolution center and they have never done anything.   Never have I been able to collect against guest deposit.  I can have pictures, receipts, etc.  All guest has to say is "How do you know I did it." because there weren't wires hanging out of the ceilings (multiple firealarms) from where you removed fire alarms.  Dangering not only by condo but the lives and condos of my neighbors.  How have other host handling Airbnb providing no assistance when guest damage property?  Are you asking guest to provide you with deposit and identification directly with you?

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Paul1743 

unfortunatelly Airbnb doesn't allow hosts to collect security deposits in cash directly from guests. They don't collect it either, they are just authorized to take it from the guest's account if the host file a damage claim report.

Some hosts make a video or photos before each guest arrival. It is simple if you only rent a room but if you rent a villa or the entire house then you would spend an hour on a photo shooting each time.

Damage claim resolutions can be solved in 1 day or a few weeks, it depends on the damage and if the guest accept to pay or not.  involve Airbnb 72 hours after your guest declined to pay and be persistent. You will get an email from Airbnb about the resolution.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Slight correction- Airbnb doesn't allow small  hosts to collect security deposits in cash from their guests. That policy is not applied equally to all sectors of Airbnb's "host" base. 

Ooo yes, of course, tnx for correction @Susan17 🙂 how did I forget?

Yep. Mustn't forget the two-tier system, @Branka-and-Silvia0! 🙂

How do you ranked as not a "small" host?

Never has resolution center gotten back with me.  Guest ignore my request so therefore nothing happens.  I take photos.  Example will be removing fire alarms.  Pictures of the wires hanging from ceiling.  There is no way prior guest would not have complained immediately.  Still all guest had to say "it was like that when I got there."  No one would stay at a place with wires hanging from ceiling.  But it didn't matter.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Always have to fight and always needed to escalate to speak to a manager. Complain, complain and again and document everything. My housekeeper WhatsApp’s me each time she leaves after each cleaning with  pictures of each room. This is the proof I use to make a claim. Every time Airbnb have paid out. 

Broken beds and wires hanging from ceiling (removing fire alarms) I took pictures of.  There is no way prior guest would not have complained if the feet of the bed was higher then the head of the bed or if wires were hanging from the ceiling from alarms removed.  Like I said I feel I have complained, complained, complained.  AirBnb isn't my primary job I can't spend 4 hours a week complaining.  I just don't have time for that.

Sarah978
Level 6
Ithaca, NY

I have never had a problem with ABB collecting when guests have caused damages (vomiting all over new mattresses and then just checking out without telling me comes to mind). Having said that, we don’t take a security deposit, so Idk if that makes a difference. My experience has always been that as long as you document everything and get that documentation to ABB before the next guest checks in, you’re all set. We’ve had guests refuse to pay for damages, and I don’t even argue with them anymore, I just go straight to ABB, and when I get there I immediately ask for a case manager. The only time I had a problem was way back at the beginning when I had all of the documentation re a guest damaging an apt but didn’t get it submitted before the next guest checked in later that same day, and they wouldn’t pay out. Otherwise, all good. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sarah978I just had the same experience. I was dreading dealing with the resolution center based on things I've read. But I had everything documented and the process was simple. I still have to pay out of pocket because "depreciated value" but overall, I'm satisfied with the way my claim was handled. And it wasn't small...Replacement cost was $640 and they are reimbursing me $540.

I suspect there is waaaaaay more to the story some hosts tell when they say they are having a hard time getting reimbursed. Taking preventative measures, documenting everything, and simply being NICE go a long way!