Response rate

Answered!
Bettee0
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Response rate

I had an inquiry and responded. Actually, I responded several times and didn't hear back from him until more than 24 hours later. Now Airbnb has let me know that I didn't respond. They inform me that I will have to send another invitation? since the inquiry has expired. The time and the responses are clearly in my messages. What do I do? 

1 Best Answer

Thank you for your help, Dede. That, too, is what I had thought----that he had booked another place. I was quite surprised and totally unprepared when I heard from him only a few minutes before the expiration that he was coming. Now I know what I should have done.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Bettee0 I'm not entirely sure because I've never had this happen, but I *believe* that a few months ago, AirBnB changed their definition of what "response" means in the case of mere Inquiries, bringing it into line with Booking Requests. Meaning that a mere text response isn't sufficient; you must pre-approve or decline within the 24-hour window.

So, the safe thing to do if you're waiting on additional info from the inquirer is, if you haven't heard from them within about 23 hours, go ahead and decline their inquiry, accompanied by a message suggesting that they resubmit their inquiry after responding to your previous questions. In my experience, people making mere inquiries who don't follow up to your questions are people who submitted the same inquiry to multiple hosts and have already chosen someone else.

Thank you for your help, Dede. That, too, is what I had thought----that he had booked another place. I was quite surprised and totally unprepared when I heard from him only a few minutes before the expiration that he was coming. Now I know what I should have done.

and then if this happens too many times, you get threatened to be suspended for declining too many.  I'm so frustrated, can't win. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kim3402 

People are often mixing up "inquiries" and "booking requests"

Inquires minimally need one answer within 24 hours, nothing more.

Booking request need to be accepted or declined within 24 hours, but.... if the guest wants something not in compliance with the listing, just ask the guest to retract the booking request.

Bethany7
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

My listing page says 100% response rate for 11 out of the 11 last inquiries and requests & response within an hour. My superhost page says I have a 85% response rate and therefore don't qualify for superhost status. Why would this be different?

SuperHost looks at the totality of the last 12 months.

Your Response Rate looks at a certain number of your latest responses.

Possibly, you had a bad response rate eleven months ago and your Dashboard/Stats isn't going that far back for Response Rate.

Lann0
Level 2
Galveston, TX

I responded to two different inquiries with text and with preapproval.  Yet my statistics page shows zero responses.  Why is this?

Lara16
Level 4
Perrysburg, OH

Thanks, Dede, for your detailed response. I have had a similar situation. 

Lara

Catherine767
Level 2
Panama City, FL

I, today, was very surprised when I opened my Airbnb app, as I always do several times a day, to find a message that the time to respond to an inquiry had passed, when this can't be possible.  The first time I saw the inquiry was in conjunction with the unsettling message that I had not responded.  I immediately called customer service and as I was explaining the situation a representative kept skewing what I was explaining to him as to what happened.  The circumstance was easily understandable, but when he would respond it it was obvious he had no idea what I was talking about,  so I asked to speak with a different representative.  I was then put on hold without anyone picking up the call.  I waited for quite a while since the situation was of utmost importance to me.  I have always responded within a short period of time to all inquiries.

@Catherine767 so is what happened was that an Inquiry arrived and the system did not notify you of the Inquiry?

What are the customer support people trying to say happened?

Rocky10
Level 1
Dededo, Guam

I had a 100% response rate just recently, however as of late, I have been receiving reservation requests in t he middle of the night(Since I live on Guam there are not a lot of folks in my time zone so it's understandable). The problem is this,  even though I responnd to these requests upon awakening in the morning I am being unfairly penalized for late responses by a declining response rate on my profile.

How can this situation be rectified?

Thanks for sharing that. I also don't respond until I hear back for more information after an inquiry. I thought we would get dinged, if we declined. Do you know if as superhost you get dinged by not responding, even though waiting or more info. from the request?

Hi @Marta-and-Arnold0 🙂

When receiving an inquiry all you need to do is to respond by replying to the message. Just ignore the decline and pre-approve button. You got 24 hours to do so. But I always do it straight ahead when I notice it. I got a 100 % response rate. 

When receiving an actual request to book you need to accept or decline. 

Waleed28
Level 2
Islamabad, Pakistan

Recently my response rate was 100% from last week it has fall to 91% and im afraid that i will lose my superhost status. Is this some kind of glitch?? Anyone else facing same issue??

Khanu