Review readability: paragraphs and return carriages

Sam326
Level 2
New York, NY

Review readability: paragraphs and return carriages

I'd like to bring attention to what I believe to be a bug.

Please display reviews with paragraphs as they were originally written.

Truthfully, I am unclear if this is a bug or expected behavior because the experience is different on the desktop site compared to the iOS app. On the mobile app, reviews respect this and are spaced neatly into paragraphs. On desktop, each review is shown as one massive clumped together wall of text, impairing readability.

Given the inconsistency, it seems to be a bug. Brevity is important, but we're already limited to 500 words — it would be nice if those words were at least easy to read.

7 Replies 7

@Sam326, I completely agree with you!

It is even more confusing because they show the paragraphs in the mobile app.

Is it harder to show them on the web page?

James522
Level 3
Springfield, PA

Continuing to confirm that attention to the guest (forget the host) experience is less than a priority for AirBnB.  Disappointing.  Seems the website was designed by a 5th grader.

Tiva19
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I'm disappointed the review I wrote appeared to have paragraphs when I wrote it, but then it went away and will be so hard for anyone to read! 😕 

@Tiva19  I read that review you are referring to, and yes, it's hard to read without paragraphs.

But it's really far too long, anyway. I know you were trying to be comprehensive, but most guests won't read through a review that long, even if it was divided up.

Try to condense your comments next time, looking at what could all fall under the same statement, rather than being so detailed. What most guests really just want to know is if the place was clean and comfortable, if the host was responsive to any issues or messages, if it was accurately described. 

If there are a few specific things that you feel bear mentioning, just try to keep it brief. And if it's something the host already mentions in the listing info, no need to mention it in the review. For instance, if it can be noisy, but the host notes that in the listing,  future guests shouldn't be surprised or upset, if they read the info provided, which is their responsibility.

Thanks, @Sarah977 for your comments!  I see from your thoughtfully constructed post you have a firm grasp and appreciation of the use of paragraphs!

Given that this relatively new listing has very few reviews so far and has a one month minimum stay I thought I would put more effort into the review.  

If I am about to book a place for multiple weeks, I will appreciate whatever previous guests have to share.  

If the listing already had something about the noise, I would not have said anything about that.  I don't think I repeat anything from the listing in my review.  

Could my review use some editing?  I'm sure.  But without paragraphs it it impossible to even read.  It also makes it difficult to skim to the next topic if you aren't interested in my *very interesting* fish list.

Why would Airbnb choose to not support paragraphs??

@Tiva19  "Why would Airbnb choose to not support paragraphs??"

Because they don't see it as important? Because they assume that most people leave brief reviews? Because the programmers are from a generation that no longer considers things like spelling, grammar or proper writing structure important?

Your guess is as good as mine 🙂

Carlos4127
Level 1
Margate, FL

Unfortunately this is still an issue. It is interesting because I see reviews with paragraph spacing; however, my reviews are not spaced out.